• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tile vs Play Sand

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I recently just switched from tile to play sand. At first when I got Zion I had him on tile up until he yesterday. I have to testify after having tile for so long I would never recommend it. I would wake up in the mourning and their would be poo every where and I would have to take the tile out and wipe it out. This mourning when I got up he had poo and all i had to do was scoop it out and tile also doesn't hold the poo smell ,when he would poo on the tile it was like i had to clean his whole tank out and sanitize his cage more frequently just to get that scent out. Thanks to Germ for convincing me to get Sand.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
When i first put down the sand i sprayed it with water to keep the dust down, it helped a lot.

Now he is in his own room so no worries about dust for me.

i also believe that washed childs play sand works pretty darn well.

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
When i first put down the sand i sprayed it with water to keep the dust down, it helped a lot.

Now he is in his own room so no worries about dust for me.

i also believe that washed childs play sand works pretty darn well.

Does the child's play sand come washed or do you wash it, and if so, how?

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Does the child's play sand come washed or do you wash it, and if so, how?
you can buy it washed.

I went to Lowes(hard where store big chain) and they have washed child's play sand in the garden department.

edit: I also baked the sand in my oven for 20 mins on 300F to be sure it was ok

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I went to Lowes(hard where store big chain) and they have washed child's play sand in the garden department.

I also buy mine from Lowes (exclusively) Quikrete Premium Washed/Sifted Children's Playsand and bake it too, and I also sift it again before baking using a cheap screen made out of ordinary window screen and a 2x4 frame made of scrap lumber I had laying around. I have found that particular brand is the best in my area. It is usually very well sifted already but I re-sift just to make sure. I would also recommend you purchase the bags that they keep inside the store instead of those they have outside exposed to the weather. Usually about $4 per 50lb bag:)

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
yes i did forget to mention that you should sift the sand. i used a colander like for noodles which worked great.

Latest posts