• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tile/Sand Substrate

Pat B

Super Moderator
I do not like using paper towels for my juvenile dragon. It doesn't look natural. I have some slate tile that I would like to use and use sand to fill in the cracks. Would this be ok? I know sand isn't really good but it would just be in the cracks.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I do not like using paper towels for my juvenile dragon. It doesn't look natural. I have some slate tile that I would like to use and use sand to fill in the cracks. Would this be ok? I know sand isn't really good but it would just be in the cracks.
Generally, people recommend away from sand as much as possible, but childrens play sand that you screen yourself has been said to be safe as long as you keep up on your bathing and your beardie stays well hydrated. Calci sand that you buy in a pet store is unsafe no matter what it states, it will impact young dragons up through juvenile and has the possibility of doing so to adults as well. Paper towels are recommended for hatchlings usually, not necessary for a juvenile, though they can be used for one. Substrate is a tricky subject.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Generally, people recommend away from sand as much as possible, but childrens play sand that you screen yourself has been said to be safe as long as you keep up on your bathing and your beardie stays well hydrated. Calci sand that you buy in a pet store is unsafe no matter what it states, it will impact young dragons up through juvenile and has the possibility of doing so to adults as well. Paper towels are recommended for hatchlings usually, not necessary for a juvenile, though they can be used for one. Substrate is a tricky subject.
Thank you for your answer. I would only put the sand in between the cracks of the slate because those little crickets get down in there and hide....lol

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Using sand in between the cracks would be very little different than using sand for the substrate. the sand won't stay in the cracks & will be worked out as your BD walks all over it. The tile would always look & be sandy/dusty/dirty. There are many other non particle substrates also. There is non-adhesive shelf liner, textured vinyl deck flooring, slate & many more.

Substrate has always been a heated debate on particle or non-particle. Problems associated with some particle substrates are balled together & the fear laid on all. If a particle substrate is desired, the only one that I would personally recommend is strained Children's Washed Play Sand. I have used it for 10+ years for all my BDs 10"+, but that is my choice. Sand is Dusty though.

It all really boils down to Personal Preference as many variable aspects of BD care is. In my opinion there is no easier substrate to care for & is quite cheap, like $4-$5\50lb bag, has been used since the beginning of the Hobby & is the substrate of choice of many breeders also. I have yet to see one proven or documented occurrence of impaction by children's play sand, the majority of 'Horror' stories are more likely related to husbandry issues or human error, rather than the sand itself & is one of the many Myths surrounding BD care.

I don't tell anyone that they have to use it, but it is a very acceptable substrate & has been my choice since day one. As with any substrate there are Pros & Cons. For peace of mind, if you have concerns, non-particle substrate is the better choice.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Using sand in between the cracks would be very little different than using sand for the substrate. the sand won't stay in the cracks & will be worked out as your BD walks all over it. The tile would always look & be sandy/dusty/dirty. There are many other non particle substrates also. There is non-adhesive shelf liner, textured vinyl deck flooring, slate & many more.

Substrate has always been a heated debate on particle or non-particle. Problems associated with some particle substrates are balled together & the fear laid on all. If a particle substrate is desired, the only one that I would personally recommend is strained Children's Washed Play Sand. I have used it for 10+ years for all my BDs 10"+, but that is my choice. Sand is Dusty though.

It all really boils down to Personal Preference as many variable aspects of BD care is. In my opinion there is no easier substrate to care for & is quite cheap, like $4-$5\50lb bag, has been used since the beginning of the Hobby & is the substrate of choice of many breeders also. I have yet to see one proven or documented occurrence of impaction by children's play sand, the majority of 'Horror' stories are more likely related to husbandry issues or human error, rather than the sand itself & is one of the many Myths surrounding BD care.

I don't tell anyone that they have to use it, but it is a very acceptable substrate & has been my choice since day one. As with any substrate there are Pros & Cons. For peace of mind, if you have concerns, non-particle substrate is the better choice.
Thanks Germ....I will wait until I get a bigger tank then decide. I like the idea of sand because isn't that what they are used to in the desert?? I also like the idea of tile...nice and neat....decisions....decisions!! Drives me nuts!! LOL!

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have no objections to either, tile was just so much easier for me being I had the knowledge, experience and material to do so. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, tile, depending on the style of grout used needs to be sealed once a year, unless its an epoxy grout, which I use, is maintenance free, stain free...etc....ive had no experience with sand.

HerdOfTortoi

Bearded Dragon Egg
I use slate tile for peace of mind lol. I will say a nice benefit of the slate tile is that my beardie's nails are always nice and worn down :) I would love to use sand so he could dig but I get paranoid about health issues and the tiles are super easy to clean.

Latest posts