• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Through Observation;

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have noticed my guy loves the colour red, and doe's not like black. In his veggies i tried blueberries and also added raspberries and i bet rasp; will be the first to go.when i wore a black t-shirt that is when he gave the submissive waves as i had on all black. As soon as i changed to my red t-shirt no more waving.I also noticed he likes to eat his crickets out of his dish-as soon as they go in he gets them.And he loves to look at himself in the glass of his tank.Just so much to observe when they are settling in.I guess maybe the black is associated with fear as they turn their beards black when threatened.I wonder is they associate red with the sun?? Very interesting just to leave them alone and watch, Don't get me wrong i talk to him all the time-but when i am on computer i watch him.Anyone else that may have noticed different things.Please add to my post. And my actual name is Bella-aka-river

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My beardie loves pink. Anything and everything that's pink. Being a girl beardie, it doesn't surprise me. She also likes to look at art and photography. We were in this art show and it was a dreary day so I was letting her sleep and stay warm on me. I was talking to someone and someone said, "Um, your jacket's moving." "Yes, that's Allie." They wondered what an Allie was and I showed them. They loved her! Soon, after word got around, everyone wanted to see her. Whenever I felt she needed time to warm up, I'd put her back under my jacket. She was something else. A lady wanted to take a picture of her for a mascot for the fair. It was called 'WhoFest'.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I'm not sure if it an actual colour association thing because it is believed that certain colours are not seen by reptiles..Red being one of those as seen by a lot of people saying that using an infrared nite heat lamp is okay because reptiles don't see red light. I personally disagree with that because none of our reptiles and amphibians will sleep with a red or whatever colour light over their enclosures at night and I have also witnessed that the nocturnal creatures are much less active if a light of any colour is on them at night. I do think that although they may not perceive specific colours that they do percieve light period.
I do believe that bearded dragons as well as most other creatures have memory and just as humans do they associate things with those memories. Our Mungi for instance will immediately react and come over to be picked up in his enclosure when I am wearing a particular t-shirt...now when I first noticed him do this I thought to myself "Wow...I have a dragon that is a Pink Floyd fan!":eek: lol Very Cool INDEED but in truth that old concert t-shirt from the 70's just happens to be the same t-shirt I was wearing the night we rescued him and as much as I would love to believe we share a common love for Darkside of the Moon I think he connects that t-shirt with safety and being rescued from the "bad place" he came from. Another example is Mungi's excitement for his "Blue Cup" which is actually just a wax worm container with a blue label that we use to transfer his feeder insects to his enclosure at mealtime. We have used that same cup from day one. He gets very excited at seeing the Blue Cup coming his way but I think it is more the size and shape of the container more than it's colour and the fact that their hearing is extremely acute also making him be able to hear the crickets scratching inside the container. We have changed up containers and used different sizes and shapes and colours but he doesn't give the same reaction unless he hears them and at first he acts confused.

Curious tho to note that he does not like clear glass containers...I have tried feeding him from a mason jar for example where he can readily see the feeders and he is leary of them.
I think though that is because most reptiles don't understand the concept of glass..it confuses them that they can see through it but can't go through it. That is the reason incidentally folks see their dragons "Glass Dancing" on the wall's of their tank enclosures...the dragon sees the outside of his enclosure and doesn't understand why he can't get there. Also you mentioned your dragon loving to stare at his reflection in the glass of his enclosure. As I have mentioned before they are territorial creatures and it is more likely that he is seeing another dragon than realizing it as his own reflection. When a potential threat comes into view the natural reaction at first is to keep their eye on that threat to make sure it doesn't attack or advance. Many times you will see that your dragon will get agitated and even try and get at that "other dragon"..it's his instinct to protect his territory so perfectly understandable.
The observation you have witnessed about him going after his prey and gobbling them down quickly is natural behavior too...the fastest dragon gets the biggest meal and one never knows when that "other dragon" like the one he watches in the glass might try to get some of his dinner.

I might believe a connect with the colour black in them perceiving black as a threat or warning sign of danger however that Pink Floyd t-shirt I mentioned before just happens to be black:)

I think that it is wonderful that you watch and observe your dragon and have said many times before that I believe one of the greatest and most important things we can do as caretakers is to simply spend time just watching without acting on what we see. That time is always enlightening and how we come to truly understand and know the creatures we are trying to take care of. Keep that observation up and it will make you the best dragon keeper without doubt.

Enjoy!!

Scottio

Hatchling Dragon
Until you've said I'd never really noticed it but I have realised he constantly runs towards the red wall whenever we take him out. Climbs over anything to get to it!

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Budda; i just got back from shopping awhile ago and thought i'll see what he does-so i went to his tank and he seemed to regconize [sp] me as his food sourse so i said mommie's little man is hungrey and fed him and he came right to front of his tank to see his lunch[got home a while ago and gave him lunch] this morning i gave him some mealies after he woke up and he ate all[4-5] plus crickets, salad, and fruit. Eating everything lol, and today i was able to get mustard green for him-when i went before they didn't have them.Got a 7-daytimer 2-plugs.on it and it's the one reccomended.going to set it up in am.got him some pelletts and thought i would try him on some-in case i run late and maybe he might eat some and get some variety for him.I read about your baby and will keep him in my prayers and these Gentle giants are God's Gift To Us to look after and he will recoupe i'm sure the good Lord will make sure of that.On a side note i saw a beautiful leather back at the reptile shop where i get my crickets. And i started to think????? But i will wait on that for awhile and make sure my baby is looked after properly. But man they are addicting.PS Picked up my journal as well and going to start both the Gecko and my beardie, and right everything down.Little Gecko will be 5-weeks on Saturday. Man the time just seems to fly. And sund; my little man will be a week at home here.Bought the gecko on sat; for grandaughter and on sund; beardie for grandma[ha ha]. Just couldn't wait to get home from shopping to see my baby and he was waiting on me. Nice to see.I bought him a little rough rock today from reptile shop to help with his nails and just finished baking it in the oven.It has a very tiny cup in it to contain something special for him.Now what for a treat. Think i will try some of those canned crickets and mealies just to see if he will eat them.Have to go back to that link for the good food and bad and copy it down. Purchased a plastic container for those damn crickets and out they went on my balcony, Inside of a couple of things so they should be alright as it was darn cold last night and they survived it. I fed them all carrott and some good veggies and said[Don't get comfortable Boy's you won't last'] ha ha. Well enough foolishness about crickets; But i will over come-bella -aka-river

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Scottio; Interesting just to watch your gentle giant they do soo much that we would miss if not watching.Like Budda; say's they window dance-I like to call it window surfing or shadow boxing.Something about it attracts him and just keep watching him and you will be amazed. I am a new owner and I have seen so much just in a week it very interesting it could be colour, texture ,other side of wall anything Just watch and you will figure it out. For instance-when i put on my black t-shirt he went to submission and when i put on my red t he did not.Very interesting and smart gentle giants. Good luck Scott; and best to you and you gentle giant.bella-aka-river-7

Latest posts