• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

This still bothers me

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
Hey all,
I was hoping I could get a few opinions on an issue that has bothered me since it's happened and hasn't really healed. I lost my first bearded dragon last May due to... well, I don't know. He wasn't even 2 years old when he passed away which saddens me to this day. I honestly just want to know if you guys think what was wrong with him was due to my care, or something I couldn't control.

Basically he went lethargic months prior to his passing, and at one point didn't poop for nearly a month. I thought it was brumation since he was sleeping a lot. However he had gotten to the point where even when bathing him, he'd be so completely lethargic to where he wouldn't hold himself up. He always kept his eyes closed, even when not asleep, and was rarely active. Brought him to the vet, everything checked out fine- poop sample was fine, physical body was fine, eyes, ears, mouth- everything was perfect. Yet something was going on that we didn't know about. I spent another $200 (already spent a good $150 on testing and antibiotics/vit shot) to do a blood test which guess what? Turned out 100% healthy. All the vet recommended to do was leave him outside in a container to get natural UVB.
I did this everyday for 2 weeks, usually when I got home for a 2-3 hour time frame. The container had a small opening at the top because the screen didn't fit, but we don't have those lighting bugs here so I wasn't worried of him consuming anything dangerous. The container was half shaded half sun, so I thought I was doing everything right until the day where everything fell. I went to bring him inside and he was in a corner on the container, completely black, eyes closed, and breathing in short gasps. I panicked and brought him inside and tried bathing him. It was only in the 80's with a slight breeze so I never would have thought it COULD have been heat stroke but I didn't know what else to do. The vet was closed, so I bathed him and gave him "CPR" through a straw. He went into a coma soon after, with his head tilted up, body still black, but stopped breathing visibly. He passed over night when I saw the color was gone and his head was down.

It's so hard to talk about this because I still feel like I did this. If I hadn't put him outside, I feel like he would still be alive. But then I think back on the weeks of him acting so sick and lethargic to where even the vet was puzzled, and I question if it was something out of my control that just took place when he was outside. Was this some sort of genetic problem that caused his death? I don't know, I honestly just need to find peace with this because I'm so paranoid and scared of losing my 2nd little guy the same way. I really just want to hear what you all think and if you've gone through something similar.

Here's the last picture I got of him. He was an incredible 23 inches long with beautiful colors and an amazing personality. I still miss him
466214_3970711264966_607044383_o.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What type of container were you sunning him in? Screened, glass, tote?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So was it getting any amount of unfiltered natural sun, or mostly through the sides? Did you have a thermometer in it. There is no benefit to sunlight that has to pass through a solid filter such as glass or plastic, as UVB will not pass through it. If even half of it was in the direct sunlight, it would be like an oven in there, direct sunlight with no moving air on a 80+F day. Although he may have been previously ill, I have no doubts that sunning in a closed sided container, the heat being magnified somewhat by the clear sides for a couple to 3 hours may have been a deciding factor in his demise. I most definitely do not recommend you doing anything of that nature with your new one. A screened enclosure is needed for sunning or on your lap or shoulder.

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
I had figured that he would get enough just from the top since it was a mesh/screen lid. When I was out there, I remember the inside wasn't hot to the touch. Unfortunately, the vet recommended a plastic tote and confirmed to use this one so I'm wishing I had done more research first.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am sorry for your loss, he is an absolutely gorgeous big boy, your new baby needs your attention now. Experience is a harsh teacher, gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. Keep us updated on the forum, there are many knowledgeable members to absorb from.

Latest posts