• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thinking respiratory infection but can't find vet...

Laffdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! My baby beardie looks like he might have a respiratory infection. Over the last 24 hours I've noticed more labored breathing, retractions at his sides and more puffed beard breathing. He is still eating and active. However, I have been unable to find a vet to treat him. The only one halfway close to me isn't accepting new patients at this time due to COVID. Does anyone live near the North Dallas area that could recommend a vet that can help my little guy? Thanks

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! My baby beardie looks like he might have a respiratory infection. Over the last 24 hours I've noticed more labored breathing, retractions at his sides and more puffed beard breathing. He is still eating and active. However, I have been unable to find a vet to treat him. The only one halfway close to me isn't accepting new patients at this time due to COVID. Does anyone live near the North Dallas area that could recommend a vet that can help my little guy? Thanks
www.arav.org

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Please Google or call and ask local breeders or pet stores they will know of a good vet and most pet stores have breeders. YES its def an Upper Respiratory Infection and needs a vet ASAP for antiboitcs. From this point on & Always...make sure his temp is at 100 if hes an adult and humidity only 30-40 percent; NEVER ever higher than 40. Buy only digital thermomoeters & hygometers those are the only accurate ones. Never ever leave the water bowl or food in the tank overnite & when bathing him never get the water in his ears; the water should be at the top of his hind legs and give a rubber duckie or rolled up sock to rest his head as he is soaking. Also, at nite the temp should never drop below 70 if it does in your house tehn buy a ceramic heat emitter which emits heat & no light; at nite they like it dark and quiet. These are all the casues for a respiratory infection. GL

Laffdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, is your bearded dragon okay now, have you found a vet?
Hello! Yes he is doing better- I think we were dealing with plugged nostrils because of shedding. I still haven't been able to find a vet in my area and I really need to just get him in and get him checked out in a general sense. Does anyone have any recs?

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Next time, make sure you have a vet and establish a relationship with them before you have a possible emergency.

Try searching "exotic vets near me" or similar and see what comes up. Check their reviews to make sure they're a good place, and read up on their covid procedures so you know what to do when you bring your bearded dragon in.
Also, if you ever suspect another respiratory infection, try raising the heat a bit and lowering the humidity until you can get him checked out :)