• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

these bugs are back again!

Eric sachranienkow

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
okay... last year i had my leopard gecko and had sand... we had this little bugs coming out so we decided to google it and we cleaned out the tank and 2 months after the gecko kind've got sick so we sold her and the new owners took very good care... now this year with my beardie lily those stupid bugs are back! i dont want to wash out the tank because shes only about 8 weeks and not use to being handled yet. and her habitat is so well tooken care of we dont want to clear it out! does anyone else have any other ideas? i dont want a 8 week old baby girl to get sick :(

Debz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi Eric
To be truthful I wouldn't keep a baby bearded dragon on sand, kitchen paper is better for them.
but what sand do you use? childs play sand?
the bugs can come from the poop from your live food or from your dragons poop if a little was left after you cleaned it up.
bugs can also come from any other item that you have put in there, ie: log, rock.
you could maybe give the tank a good clean and soak any items in 10% bleach to 90% water and give them a good rinse after, this should kill any bugs and eggs, or you could bake a rock in an over for about 30 mins, then you will kill off any eggs so they don'y come back again.

Eric sachranienkow

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
okay, thank you debz, and i use walnut shells, it doesnt seem very bad for her though... so i will clean it out and put kitchen paper and then maybe when shes older put in carpet! thank you!

Debz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
no probs Eric, was just my views hun, I have my viv tiled, easy to clean and keeps my dragons nails trim and no risk of impaction.
good luck with her.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ground walnut shells are a dangerous substrate for bearded dragons. it is made of tons of tiny sharp little cubes, like safety glass when broken. It can get stuck in his digestive system or even worse, cut his insides when ingested.

Here is a site that shows images of a bearded dragon that died via crushed walnut shells, its an autopsy.

GRAPHIC IMAGES

http://mrskingsbioweb.com/beardeddragngrossanatomy.htm

Latest posts