• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

the kind of light i have

amygeee

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
100 watt Powersun self ballasted mercury vapor lamp
"provides UVA, UVB, LIGHT, AND HEAT ALL IN ONE LAMP"

it is a zoomed product.

adequate? sugggestions?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is it the powersun with the red bearded dragon on the box? If so this is the new version of the powersun which has been shown to cause some health problems in beardies as the coating they used on the glass produces harmful amounts of UVA and inadequate UVB. Here are two links covering this info so that you know im not talking out of my rear.
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/UVB_Meter_Owners/message/6614
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercvapourfloods.htm#zoomedpowersun

Unfortunately these lights have not been pulled off of the market nor has Zoomed fixed the issue.
If you can i suggest taking it back. if you cant you need to turn it off and replace it. The best MVBs on the market are the Trex and the SolarGlo. The solarglo is the cheaper of the two. Can be purchased for 26 bux plus shipping at reptilesupply.com here is the direct link http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=2183

amygeee

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
are the solarglow bulbs ones that do everything in one, like a powersun?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes thats what a MVB is a Mercury Vapor Bulb produces both UV and Heat. They were originally designed for use in zoos and then smaller versions were than designed for the hobbyist industry. I use both the Trex and the SolarGlo. The trex is much more expensive but has a slightly higher output than the SolarGlo. The SolarGlo is an extremely good bulb it ranks 3rd on output with the Trex and one other bulb (which from what i have been told is the same bulb as the trex with a different name which i can not think of at the moment) being above it.

babiiqirlxx

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
can you use that bulb in a 55 gallon tank ? and would that be enough by itself??
and what kind of lamp would you reccomend for that bulb?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, make sure that you have at least 12" distance between that and the dragon at any time.
A ceramic based shop lamp works fine ! Make sure it is rated for temps exceeding 250*F and you won't have issues.
Also, make sure you "burn" in the MVB for 4 days. This allows the excess phosphors to burn off and not over heat dragon or harm human/pet eyes.
Janie.

Latest posts