• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The heating pad thing

Derek Madge

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I don't want to offend anyone with this question because I have been seeing the accepted wisdom distributed around the internet for years. But I find it hard to believe some things I have been told. I don't believe for instance that dragons absorb water through skin and anal vent, at least enough to hydrate them. (Obviously will help with shedding,) But the other thing I question is the assertion that they do not feel heat thorugh their belly. How could a desert animal evolve and survive , feel heat from above but not the heat of the land that is also heated by the sun? Surely in a desert setting rocks and the general terrain will become excessively heated sometimes. So I would like to ask where did this information originate?

I have had, for a year, an undertank heating pad under a thick- and that would be critical - large piece of tile. I think it is 1/2" thick, or close. My Beardo sometimes sleeps on it and has suffered no apparent problem. I also have it slightly elevated in the tank, one end higher than the other so air can circulate underneath and also allow for some variation in the heat. This tile takes up about 25% of the 2 ft x 4 ft melamine wood floor area.

Why do I bother with this when I have a heat lamp? So if the lamp goes out and it is a winter day or cold night, there is some heat source. And even if the power is out for 20-30 minutes the tile will radiate some heat.

So, can someone tell me where this concept came from , or have I misunderstood something?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Bearded dragons have something called a parietal gland on top of their head. It's that funny looking scale right in the middle. They know that heat comes from the "sun" above them and that gland helps them seek out that "sun" whether is the actual sun or a heat light. So when it comes time to thermoregulate, they follow their head not their belly. They don't have a lot of nerve endings on their belly to sense that something could potentially be hurting them. Which is probably why my boy is constantly rubbing his belly scales the wrong way on his log and damaging them.

Derek Madge

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you Patsy! That is the most comprehensive explanation (perhaps the only one) that I have seen.