• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The beardies inclosure

Asia Lorraine

Hatchling Dragon
I just wanted to make sure that I have everything right. He is only 4-41/2 inches not including tail. I have a 20 gal set up (for now. already saving for the big one) a 100 wat basking light, a 100 wat infrered light and a uva/uvb 5.0 day light. He also has a shallow water dish as well as a regular food dish and a wood limb for basking and a place for hiding in the "cool side". He has repti carpet. And a probe thermometer. Is there anything I am missing? I dont have any accessories because I just got him sunday and dont want him to be overwhelmed. Sorry I dont have any good pics.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
To keep some form of consistency, BD size is generally posted as total length, nose to tip of tail. Should there be a tail nip, mention how much you think is missing.

If you are using the infrared for night\light heat & your ambient room temps don't drop below the mid to low 60s F at night, stop using it. Lights of any color will bother most BD's sleep, they should be allowed to cool down at night, slows the metabolism for a good nights rest. Should your ambient room temps happen to drop below the above mentioned temp at night, a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) is recommended with a dimmer control, to provide just enough heat to take the edge off to bring it just above those temps. A CHE will provide heat but no light.

If your UVB fixture is mounted or placed above the screen, you should be using a 10.0 or it will not be receiving adequate UVB. A 5.0 is not strong enough to allow enough useable effective UVB to penetrate the screen. Be sure that the basking spot is located below, near the center of the Bulb if you are using a tube fluorescent. If using a compact, be sure that you are using smaller dome fixtures so the Basking & UVB fixtures can be side by side close to each other to both cover the basking spot. The Basking Spot should be within 8"-12" from the center of a 10.0 UVB bulb, depending on whether it is above the screen or not. Much closer for a 5.0 UVB bulb.

Unless you see your BD actually drinking from the water dish, I would remove it. Very few BDs will recognize & drink from standing water. Most of us do not provide water bowls, because our BDs don't use it & it just raises the humidity in the enclosure.

It would be super helpful if you can post some clear pics of the setup. A pic is worth a thousand words.

Good Luck

Asia Lorraine

Hatchling Dragon
He usually will go to the side with the red light to sleep. He sleeps under the wood peice. Kinda like he is under a bridge. He seems to almost crash a few moments after I switch the lights but if it can be bothersome to him I will look into a ceramic heater. As of right now his night heat is perfect with the red light but that could easily be switched to a ceramic. His 5.o light is on the screen but if thats not enough I will switch that payday (friday). He runs through the water a lot but that is probably because its in his way? He will get enough moisture with weekly soaks and misting right?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He usually will go to the side with the red light to sleep. He sleeps under the wood peice. Likely - Trying to get away from the Light. Kinda like he is under a bridge. He seems to almost crash a few moments after I switch the lights but if it can be bothersome to him I will look into a ceramic heater. As of right now his night heat is perfect with the red light but that could easily be switched to a ceramic. What do you mean his temps are perfect, during the day or at night? His 5.o light is on the screen but if thats not enough I will switch that payday (friday). Yes, you definitely should, are you using a tube or compact UVB bulb & what Brand 10.0 would you be getting ? He runs through the water a lot but that is probably because its in his way? He will get enough moisture with weekly soaks and misting right? Yes!
What are the enclosure temps, directly at the basking spot & cool side, the floor area furthest from the basking bulb. I don't understand how it's temps could be perfect if you are running 2 100 watt bulbs during the day, one at each end. Once again, unless your ambient room temps drop below the mid to low 60s F, you don't need a night light or a CHE. What are your room temps at night?

Asia Lorraine

Hatchling Dragon
No I only run one at a time on one side. Sorry for the miss understanding :) I run his basking on the left side and there is no heat eliment on the right. He is at my boyfriends house but I called him and he said that his house stays at 75-80 so I had him turn the red light off so there is no ctra heat on right now. I thought he kept it cooler. So as of now I run the uvb/uva light and his basking light and that is it. During the day his basking temp is around 102 and his cool side was at 82. . His night was at 90 but like I said I misunderstood and that has been corrected. I do not know what brand of 10.0 light I will get but I am open to suggestions.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The ReptiSun 10.0 seems to have the best reviews. I have used ReptiGlo 10.0 tubes for many years, & ReptiSun 10.0 in some enclosures for a year, I see no difference. Again I ask, are you using compact or tube fluorescent UVB?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, that is a compact. When I mentioned the domes I meant the fixture that the bulb screws into. The reason I wanted to know, compact or tube, is if you should choose to purchase the ReptiGlo 10.0 Compact, be sure to purchase the 25 watt bulb, ReptiGlo 10.0 compacts come in 2 wattages 13W & 25W. The 13W is basically the equivalent of ReptiSun 5.0 because of the lower wattage. The ReptiSun 10.0 only comes in a 26W. I know it's confusing, but just remember, whichever brand you choose, be sure to get the 25 or 26 Watt bulb.

Asia Lorraine

Hatchling Dragon
Perfect. SO I need to get a 10.0 bulb at 25 wats and leave my night heat off unless it gets too low and then use ceramic. Also take out the water and everything else should be good? I will take pics friday and post just to double check.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
And be sure both the basking Bulb & the UVB (within the above mentioned distances) are both covering the basking spot.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ATT5.gif

Latest posts