• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Temps/lighting question

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
After having Aussie since April, it was recently brought to my attention that her temps may be off. I bought a new probe thermometer, and set it at her usual basking site. Much to my dismay, it was only 89 degrees Fahrenheit. I already had a 90 watt spot light, so I bought a new dome for it, and adjusted her site so the temp is 105. I figured I should gradually increase the temperature. The reason I'm posting is, since the raise in temperature, Aussie won't go anywhere near her basking site. She hangs out on the other side of her enclosure, or in the middle. It is significantly cooler there, causing her to be much cooler. Should I lower the temp a little more, and increase it more gradually, or just hope she eventually decides to go get hot, like she's supposed to do?

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
From what I understand 89 oF is a good temp 105 oF is high end I'd say if she's happy at 89 oF roll with it or lower the basking spot so it's cooler but I'm sure Germ will be online at some point tonight and he'll have a better knowledge of the situation. I have had many problems with temps too so you are not alone :rolleyes:

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The temps that should be provided are 95-105F (Found they seem to like it closer to 100-105F) for an adult, 110F for a juvenile, with a heat gradient to 80-85F at the coolest accessible point in the enclosure for all, which is generally the floor area furthest from the heat Bulb. If you provide the above temps, your BD will find the temp that it needs, when & where it needs it.

Are you sure the second thermometer is accurate?

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It's a brand new probe thermometer. I can't see it not being accurate. I previously only had one (with two enclosures), so I set everything up, then removed the thermometer. When I put the new one in, I discovered the lower temps. Aussie gets close to being where it's hot, but she always feels cold. She seems to hang out on the artificial "log" in her enclosure, so I moved it closer to the probe. I actually found her laying right next to the probe earlier today. I think she just needed to get accustomed to the higher temperature.

Latest posts