• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Temperature gradient problems

mmsg1998

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone, I’m really struggling at getting the right temperature gradient, I’m getting different readings and struggling to keep the cool end cool..

Hot end: Habistat says 43° (probe is the one wrapped in green bent in position under bulb).
The digital thermometer I have set up next to that says 38.7°.
I have also measured with a laser thermometer and am getting hits ranging from 36-49°????

Cool end digital thermometer reads 36°. But then the laser thermometer has hits from 27°-29°..

Am I just being plain stupid???

Viv is 4x2x2

Attachments

• 99D1884D-EEEF-4D6A-8814-521B07D6094A.jpeg
    99D1884D-EEEF-4D6A-8814-521B07D6094A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 8D13D8AF-87B4-4649-8F1E-584CE81E2E31.jpeg
    8D13D8AF-87B4-4649-8F1E-584CE81E2E31.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5135.jpeg
    IMG_5135.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi everyone, I’m really struggling at getting the right temperature gradient, I’m getting different readings and struggling to keep the cool end cool..

Hot end: Habistat says 43° (probe is the one wrapped in green bent in position under bulb).
The digital thermometer I have set up next to that says 38.7°.
I have also measured with a laser thermometer and am getting hits ranging from 36-49°????

Cool end digital thermometer reads 36°. But then the laser thermometer has hits from 27°-29°..

Am I just being plain stupid???

Viv is 4x2x2
You hot end is fine -- the different gradients are good - where does the dragon sit when basking? you dont want the basking bulb any closer than 6" -- I cant tell distance to the log underneath - the cool side you definitely need to get down to 80 F- 96 F is too hot --- can you post a pic of the whole tank please

mmsg1998

Bearded Dragon Egg
You hot end is fine -- the different gradients are good - where does the dragon sit when basking? you dont want the basking bulb any closer than 6" -- I cant tell distance to the log underneath - the cool side you definitely need to get down to 80 F- 96 F is too hot --- can you post a pic of the whole tank please
Hey thanks for the reply, should the thermostat probe also be about 6 inches away from the bulb too? This is a pic of the viv, I don’t yet have the beardie

Attachments

• 06065934-CE28-4735-8E54-7F9E277DC34B.jpeg
    06065934-CE28-4735-8E54-7F9E277DC34B.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6

mmsg1998

Bearded Dragon Egg

with the temperature gun, the main hits around the surface ground I’m getting around the cool end are 27°-28°C, but the digital probe I have set going is just constantly reading 35°, however this is set up higher in the viv. Should the digital one be set closer to the ground? When I place my hand in the cool end, it feels considerably cooler towards the ground, so do I go off ground measurements?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
with the temperature gun, the main hits around the surface ground I’m getting around the cool end are 27°-28°C, but the digital probe I have set going is just constantly reading 35°, however this is set up higher in the viv. Should the digital one be set closer to the ground? When I place my hand in the cool end, it feels considerably cooler towards the ground, so do I go off ground measurements?
Your getting a ambient temp and its going to be warmer hot air rises - does he sit high on the cool side or on the floor - hes going to go where he wants to be comfortable - I would go off the floor - as long as he has a temp where he can go to cool off your good - I see the UVB is it on the back wall? If so I would pull it away from the wall and get a piece of basking decor directly under it 12-15 inches - from what I can see it looks like he cant get directly under it and I am not sure about the distance its at

mmsg1998

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your getting a ambient temp and its going to be warmer hot air rises - does he sit high on the cool side or on the floor - hes going to go where he wants to be comfortable - I would go off the floor - as long as he has a temp where he can go to cool off your good -
Ok brill, I haven’t got him yet, he’s a 3 year old I’m rehoming so I’m sure he will give me signs if he’s uncomfortable in there (open mouth etc), and I’ll just have to play it as I go along making adjustments where he requires? I’m just so anxious about making sure he’s happy and comfortable. Thanks for your advice!!

Latest posts