• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Temp gun or probe?

Rubble1212

Bearded Dragon Egg
I know this is a highly discussed topic but just curious on your thoughts. I use both temp guns and digitals with probe and normally they are both pretty close to each other readings wise maybe 2-5 degrees difference. There’s debate on temp guns being off if proper emissivity is not set and I always read posts where people have drastically different readings with probes vs temp guns? Mine have always been pretty close but what are your opinions on which one to use for the most accurate readings? I know different surfaces store more heat than others so you can use the exact same light from same distance and get different readings with a temp gun but with the probe it’s always the same or pretty close so does the probe measure air temperature while the gun measures surface temperature or do probes measure surface temperatures as well? Sorry I’m just always curious and love to learn from others. Thank you

Mattie3

Bearded Dragon Egg
I haven't used a probe for my bearded yet but I have used both with my ball python. I prefer the gun. Being under substrate can alter the temp. If I want to read more of the surface temp, I get closer to that spot I'm checking and I check it multiple times. The further away you go will read more of an air temp if that makes sense.

Mattie3

Bearded Dragon Egg
I know this is a highly discussed topic but just curious on your thoughts. I use both temp guns and digitals with probe and normally they are both pretty close to each other readings wise maybe 2-5 degrees difference. There’s debate on temp guns being off if proper emissivity is not set and I always read posts where people have drastically different readings with probes vs temp guns? Mine have always been pretty close but what are your opinions on which one to use for the most accurate readings? I know different surfaces store more heat than others so you can use the exact same light from same distance and get different readings with a temp gun but with the probe it’s always the same or pretty close so does the probe measure air temperature while the gun measures surface temperature or do probes measure surface temperatures as well? Sorry I’m just always curious and love to learn from others. Thank you
I'm curious to see the answer from someone experienced with bearded dragons. I'm getting a probe now so I can have multiple ways to check the temp!

Latest posts