• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tank suitability

Scotty

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a juenvile bearded dragon that's growing immensely fast and it is about 7 and a half inches now inches long now.. I just re did the tank. I had a lot of problems the way stuff was set up earlier and now it is completely re done. I just wanted to know if this set up is good. I know the sand is a hazard. any help with stuff and/or ideas are appreciated!

Basking area
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346286744.762838.jpg

Cool side of tank with UVB exposure
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346286775.195017.jpg

Center...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346286815.328720.jpg

Whole enclosure
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346286839.008924.jpg

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Your UV light needs to be beside your basking light not seperate...your dragon will spend the majority of its time on his basking light so to give him the best exposure to UV it needs to be in the same area...also note that with tube UV the majority of the UV output is from the center of the tube and very little from the ends so you should position the tube light center next to the basking light.
Also.am.note sure but that looks like a water dish in the corner...if so the you need to remove it...beardies are desert creatures and do not require water dishes as they get moisture from the greens etc that you feed them and may sip water when you bath them. The addition of a water dish only raises the humidity inside the enclosure which is also something they do not need and that can possibly cause problems. High humidity and heat also encourage bacteria growth....these creatures need dry heat;)
I.do like the branches that you have set up..very cool;)
One.other thing that I see that is a problem.is the particle substrate you are using...particle substrate is not suitible for.juvenile beardies under 10 inches.
Once they reach that size you can safely use washed sifted childrens playsand....do not use Calcisand which has a very high impaction risk.
Your beardie is close to a safe size but not yet ...would be safer to get that out and bag it up for use later..til then there are many other safe non-particle substrates that you can safely use.

"That's just my opinion. I could be wrong. I was ONCE!" Comedian/Social Commentarian Dennis Miller

Scotty

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your UV light needs to be beside your basking light not seperate...your dragon will spend the majority of its time on his basking light so to give him the best exposure to UV it needs to be in the same area...also note that with tube UV the majority of the UV output is from the center of the tube and very little from the ends so you should position the tube light center next to the basking light.
Also.am.note sure but that looks like a water dish in the corner...if so the you need to remove it...beardies are desert creatures and do not require water dishes as they get moisture from the greens etc that you feed them and may sip water when you bath them. The addition of a water dish only raises the humidity inside the enclosure which is also something they do not need and that can possibly cause problems. High humidity and heat also encourage bacteria growth....these creatures need dry heat;)
"That's just my opinion. I could be wrong. I was ONCE!" Comedian/Social Commentarian Dennis Miller

Ok thank you very much. I am going to move the light immediately, remove the bowl :) I'll post pictures of the revision.

Scotty

Bearded Dragon Egg
One.other thing that I see that is a problem.is the particle substrate you are using...particle substrate is not suitible for.juvenile beardies under 10 inches.
Once they reach that size you can safely use washed sifted childrens playsand....do not use Calcisand which has a very high impaction risk.
Your beardie is close to a safe size but not yet ...would be safer to get that out and bag it up for use later..til then there are many other safe non-particle substrates that you can safely use.

It is strained play sand and I spent like 2 hours re setting everything up and washing the sand. So I'll risk it. It's not that bad. And here are the changes
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346291249.953501.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346291266.750418.jpg

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thats a.much better light setup...childrens playsand usually comes already washed so.you washing it again shouldnt be necessary...I do highly recommend that you sift it in case there are any small pebbles etc in it. And I would also recommend that you place it in a 200 degree oven for.about 30 minutes and then allow it to cool thoroughly before adding it to the enclosure.
Personally I recommend Quikrete Premium Washed Sifted PlaySand..its available at Lowes for about 4 dollars for 50lbs and the cleanest I have found.
As far as you not wanting to remove it until your dragon is the appropriate size of over 10 inches well that is certainly your choice to do and apparently a risk you are willing to take with your dragon.
I dont take ANY unnecessary risks with any of my critters but that's me. Would personally hate to find out that a risk I could have easily avoided caused harm.or worse to another whether human or other.
Enjoy the rest of your evening;)

Scotty

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thats a.much better light setup...childrens playsand usually comes already washed so.you washing it again shouldnt be necessary...I do highly recommend that you sift it in case there are any small pebbles etc in it. And I would also recommend that you place it in a 200 degree oven for.about 30 minutes and then allow it to cool thoroughly before adding it to the enclosure.
Personally I recommend Quikrete Premium Washed Sifted PlaySand..its available at Lowes for about 4 dollars for 50lbs and the cleanest I have found.
As far as you not wanting to remove it until your dragon is the appropriate size of over 10 well that is certainly your choice to do and apparently a risk you are willing to take with your dragon.
I dont take ANY unnecessary risks with any of my critters but that's me. Would personally hate to find out that a risk I could have easily avoided caused harm.or worse to another whether human or other.
Enjoy the rest of your evening;)

and that is exactly what i have!! i got it at lowes for 3.57 50 lbs. thanks for your help.

Latest posts