• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Talk to me about MBD

soobie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I think Critter has it, and it doesn't seem to be improving much.

We got him from Petco three weeks ago, where he had entirely inadequate UVB lights. After he came home, he was under the also entirely inadequate 18" T8 5.0 UVB light (that they told us to buy) for one week, then I wised up and got a 22" Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 bulb for his tank. So he's had good light for two weeks, and we take him outside a few times a week to get real sunlight. When I first put the Reptisun in the tank, I thought there was some improvement in the first couple days, but now I don't think there is.

He won't eat veggies yet, but we offer them daily. He gets mainly dubias dusted with a rotating schedule of calcium and vitamins with calcium and D3. We also feed un-dusted black soldier fly larvae (Nutrigrubs) 4-5 times a week. His tank is a 40 breeder with carpet, basking side at 105-110, cool side 80-85, high 60s at night (with a CHE if it gets colder). He eats and poops well, but his fecal two weeks ago showed coccidia and pinworms so he got a week of Panacur and three doses of Albol spaced two weeks apart (he's had two doses of the Albol so far). I got a probiotic powder to help with recovery after the meds.

My concern is that he has a hard time keeping his legs organized, and sort of flails a lot of the time, with his legs in awkward positions and folded under. He can still move around and climb his logs, but it doesn't look normal. What can I do? How long does it take to see improvement?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm having dejavu! I read this post early on BDA but didn't have the time to respond to it because we were at the inlaws celebrating mothers day.

Sounds like everything is spot on. Was the Panacur one big does or was it small doses everyday? My Dolly has pinworms and she did one big dose of Panacur and then a week later another big dose.

If Critter is small still, it may take him time to eat his veggies but it's good that you still offer.

Being under a 5.0 light for one week isn't going to cause MBD to come on that fast. So he must have had this problem at the store before you bought him. Unfortunately with MBD, it can be cured but the problems it caused can't be fixed. You could do some things to help strengthen his legs, there is a dragon named Chance on BDA who's mom works his legs in a bicycle motion to build up the muscles, and he really is walking better. I've also seen swim therapy done to help strengthen the legs. His gait may still be a little off, but now that you are giving him the vitamins he needs it won't get worse.

soobie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ha, yes, I posted this on Facebook, but it got buried there very quickly with no responses. Sorry!

The Panacur was one big double-sized dose at the vet, then smaller normal-sized doses daily for the next four days.

I saw the post about Chance and the leg exercises. I'll try that. He gets what my daughter calls "swim therapy" when he gets a bath, so hopefully that will be good for him.

I know that the damage was done before we got him, I just feel so bad when he wobbles around.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
No, I'm sorry it got buried, there's so many people in that group that things go quick. Half the time though, things don't pop up on my newsfeed until the next day.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things for him now. Now he should be getting stronger as the weeks go on.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree keep doing what you are doing and I'm all for the swimming I think that for anything is the best for strengthening..

Latest posts