• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

tail tip dying

Benmilton

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just got our first beardie a couple weeks ago. We noticed the tip of his tail had a little kink in it and was pinched. A couple weeks later this is what it looks like. Is it too late to save the tip? Does it need a vet? What can we do?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 439

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just got our first beardie a couple weeks ago. We noticed the tip of his tail had a little kink in it and was pinched. A couple weeks later this is what it looks like. Is it too late to save the tip? Does it need a vet? What can we do?

Thanks!
Yep that little tip will in time fall off, many end up with kinks from getting stuck under something or caught in the lids... Keep it clean keep the enclosure clean and it will fall off on it's own just watch for any signs of infection or if it seems to spread black down the tail. If so that requires a vet visit. My female had the same thing happen. You can clean it with iodine dialuted to the color of weak tea. and you can put neosporine without pain control on after the lights are out for the night.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
This is happening to my little dude too. Identical actually. Hdrydr31 put my mind at ease, and my little dragon is doing just fine. You're will too, I'm sure!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is happening to my little dude too. Identical actually. Hdrydr31 put my mind at ease, and my little dragon is doing just fine. You're will too, I'm sure!
Yea it's pretty common really gotta watch their tails especially when they are super long. Izzy lost about a half inch of hers, no clue what happened or when as it was just kinked one morning and I was like WTH? Just let it come off on it's own and keep an eye on the tip keeping things really clean will speed up the healing.

Benmilton

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks guys! I fell a ton better knowing I'm not the only one this has happened to and that he will likely be fine.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks guys! I fell a ton better knowing I'm not the only one this has happened to and that he will likely be fine.
Yea no worries just keep an eye on it and make sure that it doesn't work it's way down the tail as that is serious and can lead to organ damage. So watch for tail rot

Benmilton

Bearded Dragon Egg
Quick update. Is this what tail rot looks like?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    541.1 KB · Views: 407

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It does look like infection may be spreading:( i agree I would take him/her to the vet asap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So it is "growing" spreading? never hurts to have it checked but it may just be "normal" coloring for the tail as it is very normal for them to have dark tail tips...You can soak it in a betadine solution (weakend to a weak tea color) to help keep it clean.. but if it continues and starts looking lumpy infected have it checked..

Latest posts