• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Buffalo97

Hatchling Dragon
I have a question about my beardies tail. At the tip it’s kind of black, and at the very very tip it looks like some black coming out of the tail? He was just shedding on his tail so i was wondering if this could be related to that? He has constant uvb light available, hes alone in his tank, and has vegetables and fruits out all the time. I was wondering what was up with this and if i should worry. I attached two photos.

Attachments

• 88E825C8-2917-481D-9EEB-6263AB4224D5.jpeg
    88E825C8-2917-481D-9EEB-6263AB4224D5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • FDEB106E-7ADD-422E-8080-7E694B511B63.jpeg
    FDEB106E-7ADD-422E-8080-7E694B511B63.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a question about my beardies tail. At the tip it’s kind of black, and at the very very tip it looks like some black coming out of the tail? He was just shedding on his tail so i was wondering if this could be related to that? He has constant uvb light available, hes alone in his tank, and has vegetables and fruits out all the time. I was wondering what was up with this and if i should worry. I attached two photos.
It looks fine -- here is some info about tail rot
Causes of tail rot are:
1. Injuries/trauma - caused by falls, or by any other bearded dragon.

2. Malnourished - make sure he has a balanced diet and he gets the nourishment he needs

How to identify tail rot:

1. Dried out - Decaying tail won't be able to retain moisture, check if it's dried out completely.
2. Very thin, brittle - Decaying tail won't be able to process nourishment, causing it to become more thin and brittle.
What to do after finding out it has a tail rot:
1. Go to a vet - very recommended
For more info, please see the link: https://reptile.guide/bearded-dragon-tail-rot/
T Ask yourself these questions:
Was the tail recently injured?
Was a part of the tail open (eg wound/scrape/cut)
Was flesh exposed?
Is the tail constantly dark? or does the darkness ever go away (eg when in the tank, different environments)
If you didn't answer yes to basically all of those questions, it's not tail rot.
Tail rot is extremely rare. It's an infection of the flesh, from a wound or injury to the tail.
Tail rot is really kind of just a fancy name for an infected wound, one of which is affecting the tail

Buffalo97

Hatchling Dragon
It looks fine -- here is some info about tail rot
Causes of tail rot are:
1. Injuries/trauma - caused by falls, or by any other bearded dragon.

2. Malnourished - make sure he has a balanced diet and he gets the nourishment he needs

How to identify tail rot:

1. Dried out - Decaying tail won't be able to retain moisture, check if it's dried out completely.
2. Very thin, brittle - Decaying tail won't be able to process nourishment, causing it to become more thin and brittle.
What to do after finding out it has a tail rot:
1. Go to a vet - very recommended
For more info, please see the link: https://reptile.guide/bearded-dragon-tail-rot/
T Ask yourself these questions:
Was the tail recently injured?
Was a part of the tail open (eg wound/scrape/cut)
Was flesh exposed?
Is the tail constantly dark? or does the darkness ever go away (eg when in the tank, different environments)
If you didn't answer yes to basically all of those questions, it's not tail rot.
Tail rot is extremely rare. It's an infection of the flesh, from a wound or injury to the tail.
Tail rot is really kind of just a fancy name for an infected wound, one of which is affecting the tail
thanks for the response! i didn’t answer yes to any of those questions and i just noticed the blackness today. it must be some weird shedding thing. i plan on giving him a bath and keeping an eye on it. i already found a vet in case. thanks!

Latest posts