• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tail Rot or shed ?

Ridith

Hatchling Dragon
Hi there
Got almost 4 month old boy and so far everything is perfect. His eating alot and is quite energetic. Over 2 weeks ago he was shedding - only part which wasn't , was his tail.
Not sure , but should i worry about or its nothing?
20201129_183218.jpg
20201208_162542.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi there
Got almost 4 month old boy and so far everything is perfect. His eating alot and is quite energetic. Over 2 weeks ago he was shedding - only part which wasn't , was his tail.
Not sure , but should i worry about or its nothing?View attachment 24575View attachment 24576
They tend to shed in different parts at different times-- his tail look darker so he's probably going to shed-- as long as there are no nips bites or broken ends of tail there should be no tail rot-- from the pic I am not seeing any of that

Ridith

Hatchling Dragon
Thankfor reply

Phew, was worried about that. Got appointment with vet for checkup after Christmas but wasn't sure if go on emergency with him.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thankfor reply

Phew, was worried about that. Got appointment with vet for checkup after Christmas but wasn't sure if go on emergency with him.
Tail rot is dry brittle ends- I can post some more info later for you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Tail rot is dry brittle ends- I can post some more info later for you
Causes of tail rot are:
1. Injuries/trauma - caused by falls, or by any other bearded dragon.
2. Malnourished - make sure he has a balanced diet and he gets the nourishment he needs
How to identify tail rot:
1. Dried out - Decaying tail won't be able to retain moisture, check if it's dried out completely.
2. Very thin, brittle - Decaying tail won't be able to process nourishment, causing it to become more thin and brittle.
What to do after finding out it has a tail rot:
1. Go to a vet - very recommended

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My dragon has a similar tail, he’s citrus with a slightly grey/dull tail too. He shed the full tail and it remained dull at the end so I’m assuming this is normal ☺️

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi there
Not sure , but should i worry about or its nothing?View attachment 24575View attachment 24576
All is good when they shes do more baths in lukewarm dechlorinated water akways. U can buy reptisafe if u don’t have a water softener. Also lightly brush him in the bath with a SOFT toothbrush downwards in the direction of his scales. Never ever peel the skin off when shedding let that fall off on his own but soaking helps the skin come off quicker and stops the itching. Make sure u are using only a ClEAR bulb for heat. The zoomed basking one is the best. And Never ever use colored or coiled bulbs it burns their eyes. And 2ndly u need UVB the nest one is the Reptisun 10.0 T5 the length U order should cover 70 percent of the tank. Order from Carolina Custom Cages or Amazon those have the best Prices & replace it every 10-12 mnths religiously. Heat/UVB on 10-12 hours in the winter and 12-14 in the summer. Mine are doing 10 Hours rite now that winters here. Make sure there a hideaway also for him to get away from the UVB I place a soft towel on top of his hammock so he can go under and get away from uvb and a fleece blanket below the hammock so he can sleep on it and that’s his hideaway. Also at nite pure dark and no lights; if temp drops below 68 buy a ceramic heat emitter and place it an inch or so away from his body on the side he sleeps on.

Latest posts