• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T5 vs T8 Question

jfpalumbo123

Bearded Dragon Egg
I see a lot of posts recommending T5 light over T8, but my basking spot is about 9" from top of tank. If I inside mount my light (which would then mean basking is 7-8" from light I assume. maybe less) isn't T8 the right bulb for me? I am going off https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/full-sun-baskers/ but am I reading it wrong? Or I considered a T5 outside mount which is on top of a fairly wide spaced wire mesh as per this tank https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/st...-desert-essentials-kit---40-gallon-54712.html so it seems like the T5, factoring in loss due to wire mesh, distance, etc might be a good choice as well.

Thanks for any info.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I see a lot of posts recommending T5 light over T8, but my basking spot is about 9" from top of tank. If I inside mount my light (which would then mean basking is 7-8" from light I assume. maybe less) isn't T8 the right bulb for me? I am going off https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/full-sun-baskers/ but am I reading it wrong? Or I considered a T5 outside mount which is on top of a fairly wide spaced wire mesh as per this tank https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/st...-desert-essentials-kit---40-gallon-54712.html so it seems like the T5, factoring in loss due to wire mesh, distance, etc might be a good choice as well.

Thanks for any info.
Do not buy the kit if that is what your planning to do -- they are a waste of money - you need to find everything separate otherwise your just going to waste a lot of money replacing stuff in that kit that are useless -- so w/ regards to the T 5 and T 8 question ---- do you have a tank already? I am confused w/ what your posting and asking--- for a T 8 it MUST go inside the tank 6-8 inches w/ no cover over the bulb needs to be exposed directly over the basking decor --- for a T 5 it can go on top of the screen but it MUST be a wide hole type of screen if in question please post the screen--- inside the tank distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor on top of screen 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor

jfpalumbo123

Bearded Dragon Egg
Do not buy the kit if that is what your planning to do -- they are a waste of money - you need to find everything separate otherwise your just going to waste a lot of money replacing stuff in that kit that are useless -- so w/ regards to the T 5 and T 8 question ---- do you have a tank already? I am confused w/ what your posting and asking--- for a T 8 it MUST go inside the tank 6-8 inches w/ no cover over the bulb needs to be exposed directly over the basking decor --- for a T 5 it can go on top of the screen but it MUST be a wide hole type of screen if in question please post the screen--- inside the tank distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor on top of screen 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor
I do already have the tank that is included in that kit, just not the lighting. An image of the top screen is attached. My question is if I put light inside tank, it seems T8 is better since basking is ~9". If I go outside tank, T5 seems best choice. Is that correct? Given my screen is top mount even an option?

Attachments

• 20220120_130306.jpg
    20220120_130306.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 4

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I do already have the tank that is included in that kit, just not the lighting. An image of the top screen is attached. My question is if I put light inside tank, it seems T8 is better since basking is ~9". If I go outside tank, T5 seems best choice. Is that correct? Given my screen is top mount even an option?
Yes the screen is good for open but how thick is that screen? If it's really heavy screen not so good+ if it's a thinner metal that is good and the way to go

jfpalumbo123

Bearded Dragon Egg
Got it. I cannot effectively measure thickness, but quite thin maybe 1-2 mm I'd say. Sounds like top mount T5. TYVM.

Latest posts