• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T5 5.0 24W or T5 10.0 24W for a reptisun 24” fixture

CastielTheBeardy

Hatchling Dragon
So i just got my reptisun 24” uvb fixture and it comes with a T5 5.0 24w uvb bulb. So the instructions recommended for terrariums up to 18” tall for the 5.0 for tropical lizards, chameleons etc..
Then for the T5 10.0 24w bulb it says terrariums up to 30” tall for bearded dragons, monitors etc
And my 75 gallon tank is at least up to 22” tall so im thinking the 5.0 is okay for my dragon but at the same time it’s recommending a 10.0 which yet again my fixture is on top of the screen lid so it will block rays. Whats your guys thoughts and also my dragon is about 8” away from the lights on his basking area

CastielTheBeardy

Hatchling Dragon
So i just got my reptisun 24” uvb fixture and it comes with a T5 5.0 24w uvb bulb. So the instructions recommended for terrariums up to 18” tall for the 5.0 for tropical lizards, chameleons etc..
Then for the T5 10.0 24w bulb it says terrariums up to 30” tall for bearded dragons, monitors etc
And my 75 gallon tank is at least up to 22” tall so im thinking the 5.0 is okay for my dragon but at the same time it’s recommending a 10.0 which yet again my fixture is on top of the screen lid so it will block rays. Whats your guys thoughts and also my dragon is about 8” away from the lights on his basking area

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 20

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
You need a 10.0 for optimal UVB output. A 10.0 is known as a "full sun" bulb and is used for species that spend most of their time basking in the sunlight, such as beardies and other arid species. 5.0 lights are designed for species that do not receive as much UVB in their natural habitat (arboreal geckos, many tropical lizards/snakes, and some fish species are all commonly kept under 5.0 lights). A 5.0 is also often used to create a day/night cycle for nocturnal reptiles.

You could go with the 5.0, but that would require many changes to your setup, including raising platforms and giving him several less inches of space for climbing. You may also require more than one of them to get the proper radiation.

You can put the 10.0 on the screen top and not have to worry as much about UVB intake as long as your beardie can get within 10-12" of the fixture and the holes in the screen are wide enough. If the screen is fine mesh you'll need to mount it inside the enclosure.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The 5.0 is basically set up for aquarium use --- they are often recommended for tanks that are 30 gallon or smaller like the 20 since the enclosure is smaller -- I would recommend getting the 10.0 T 5 and if like Hooman says the tank has a fine mesh screen then it needs to be inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor-- the screen on the tank might be able to have the 10.0 sit on top then the distance should be 8-10 inches w/ basking decor directly underneath

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
The 5.0 will not give out the necessary UVB. I would go with the 10.0 or Arcadia 12% tube bulb

Latest posts