• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T Rex!!

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
we went to another shop today to get some crickets (im still shuddering!!) we got some locusts (i think) but i think they are to big for him??

the person there was recommending calcium sand!! im using paper for now, he has some leaves and a new real rock and i will leave his heat rock in but just not put it on...

its about 83f, in the cold area (not digital couldnt get hold of one) and 110f under his basking, i will get a lower heated bulb this week,

iv been holding him a few times aday, is there to much you can hold them or the more the better?? sometimes he is quiet but sometimes he gets abit skittish and i get abit nervous, im doing great with him though i dont panic, i just put him back in his tank,

i think i could do with a pen area that i feel he could have a run about in??

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Of course the pet store people will 'recommend' calcium sand. It's sad to say that they don't know everything they should. And they just want your money. The basking spot is fine, so no need to switch to a lower wattage. As for handling him... I can't remember how long you said you had him (if you did mention it). Usually you should keep handling to a minimum when you first get him. After a few days, handle him a bit more. With time and patience, he will become used to you. A little play pen area is okay. I use a hamster type of play pen for my dragons when I have to clean their cage, do something, etc, and at least they'll have some time to get out and have more room to run around.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The digi is very important. I know I keep saying it, but your temps that you are reading are probably way off. Before changing the wattage on the bulbs, get the digital.

No calcisand. Bad stuff. Can and does cause impaction problem. Stick with paper towels until you decide. Take a look through the pics and see what others are using for flooring.

Yours and his nervousness will lessen each day. You will be amazed at how fast he will adjust.

Now that things have settled a bit with him it is time to give him a good soak. Beardies for the most part (some do) don't drink from bowls. To ensure he stays well hydrated you can soak him 2-3x a week. He is big enough to do this in a sick. For the first few times, just put in enough water for him to get used to it. You can put a towel at the bottom of the sink to help slipping and you can put your hand in to help him feel secure. The temp (again, should be measured with a digi) can be anywhere from 88-95*. Once he get accustomed to this, you can add water. Never higher than his shoulders. Many love to swim and even go under water once they are comfortable.

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yes will def get a digi temp but they had none in the shop,i thought this might be better than nothing, i will get one asap...

i just bathed him, did the water not hot not cold, he loved it!! was in the shallow end and then after a few mins was having a swim hes quite confident and seemed to enjoy his bath,

today is day 2, i put my hand in and stroke him, he doesnt run off and he seems to come over if he sees me there, the kids stare and talk to him through the glass and he climbs up the glass and 'waves' hes quite nosy,he seems to bask for a while and then has a nosy round and then looks out of the tanks for a while, i think hes doing ok...but not being able to compare with anything i get worried,i think hes about 15/16 inches long,i held him before but i get worried what they are capable of and scared he will run off if i put him down...

last night he fell asleep as i was stroking under his chin,so for me its pretty much love at 1st sight... ;D

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I believe I remember 6 months old.

Sounds like you are "wrapped". It only gets worse, lol!

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
sorry got 2 threads going on again...why do i always do that??? :D :D

bout 5/6mths i think??...and i think hes about 10 inches,

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
that sometimes happens when you post pics. People see something and comment and the thread goes from there.

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i said on the other thread i think i was measuring in man iches and over estimated, i think hes about 10 inches long...i always have a tape measure until i need one then i carnt find the bloody thing!!

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
t rex said:
i always have a tape measure until i need one then i carnt find the bloody thing!!

This is the story of my life...this goes for EVERYTHING I need

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
staylor said:
I am trying to find a tile I like for the babys tank and then tile is going in there too.

I use slate tile just to give you an idea. I bought it at Lowes. It was fairly cheap. Cost me about $20 to do 2 dragon vivs and 2 gecko vivs.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
t rex said:
just picked him up and hes cold!! got him on my chest wrapped in my cardie, its spring/summer here but an english summer isnt as warm as it should be!!! :-\

do you think heat at night???

sorry again for questions, ::)

One thing to keep in mind, our beardies are cold-blooded animals. We're warm-blooded and our body temp is somewhere around 98*F. If the ambient room temperature is even 80 degrees (very warm to me), they're going to "feel" cool/cold to us....and they're perfectly fine. Just try to get his enclosure temps to as close as those suggested and you'll be good to go.

Latest posts