• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Swollen eye

Muham816

Hatchling Dragon
This morning I got up and Wayne’s right eye is swollen shut and looked like it had some crust. I was able to use a cue tip and warm water to kind of wipe some of it off, and he can open his eye now. Do I need to get him to a vet?
63AEB630-914C-474B-90E1-37C4D1B0DCCC.jpeg
63AEB630-914C-474B-90E1-37C4D1B0DCCC.jpeg

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Please make sure you are not using a colored or coiled bulb ever. Never use those during the day or at night. U need a zoomed basking heat bulb and a reptisun UVb 10.0 T5 and he should not be too close to the uvb minimum 10inches away. So u need. A higher tank tyoically a 120 gallon with a 24 inch depth amd 24 inch height is beat and 4feet long. Any others if the height is less than even 18inches wiol make it impossible to ge the right heat and inches away from the uvb. U will have to raise the heat lamp with a raiser that u buy and or lower the basking platform he should have a few heights of basking

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This morning I got up and Wayne’s right eye is swollen shut and looked like it had some crust. I was able to use a cue tip and warm water to kind of wipe some of it off, and he can open his eye now. Do I need to get him to a vet?View attachment 24369View attachment 24369
Do you have loose crickets in the tank ? Please do not leave crickets in the tank over nite they come out and bite -- what are you using for substrate ? No loose stuff they can kick that into the eye as well ---you can use some saline solution to wash the eye out regular NO contact lense stuff --- if it persist to swell or get bigger you can use some raw unpasteurized honey mix w / a little warm water for consistency and use a q tip to swab --- its a anti bacterial to kill infection if there is one going on -- if that does not clear it up it would be vet time -- please keep me posted on progress

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Definitely get him to a vet-when in doubt, always consult your vet. There is a variety of possible problems causing the swelling, including infections that can turn deadly. The sooner you get a diagnosis, the sooner you can start treatment. The sooner you start treatment, the quicker he will recover and he will have less time to develop complications.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
If you left living bugs inside the tank over night such as crickets, it is a good possibility he got a bite...

Muham816

Hatchling Dragon
Please make sure you are not using a colored or coiled bulb ever. Never use those during the day or at night. U need a zoomed basking heat bulb and a reptisun UVb 10.0 T5 and he should not be too close to the uvb minimum 10inches away. So u need. A higher tank tyoically a 120 gallon with a 24 inch depth amd 24 inch height is beat and 4feet long. Any others if the height is less than even 18inches wiol make it impossible to ge the right heat and inches away from the uvb. U will have to raise the heat lamp with a raiser that u buy and or lower the basking platform he should have a few heights of basking
I don’t have any colored bulbs, I use a 100 watt basking bulb that has a raiser on it so I can adjust the height depending on temps. And I have a t8 10.0 reptisun that is mounted in the tank so he gets the correct uvb. Tank height is 18 inches.

Muham816

Hatchling Dragon
Do you have loose crickets in the tank ? Please do not leave crickets in the tank over nite they come out and bite -- what are you using for substrate ? No loose stuff they can kick that into the eye as well ---you can use some saline solution to wash the eye out regular NO contact lense stuff --- if it persist to swell or get bigger you can use some raw unpasteurized honey mix w / a little warm water for consistency and use a q tip to swab --- its a anti bacterial to kill infection if there is one going on -- if that does not clear it up it would be vet time -- please keep me posted on progress
He only eats dubia which he never leaves anything leftover to leave in the tank, and I started using the bsfl in his greens like you recommended (he is actually eating his salad much better thank you for that!) and for substrate I have reptile carpet. I’m going to try the saline solution and the honey mixture as well. I need to find a good herp vet near me to try and get him in. So for the honey mixture, does it go around his eye or do I need to place it directly on it. Thank you in advanced!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He only eats dubia which he never leaves anything leftover to leave in the tank, and I started using the bsfl in his greens like you recommended (he is actually eating his salad much better thank you for that!) and for substrate I have reptile carpet. I’m going to try the saline solution and the honey mixture as well. I need to find a good herp vet near me to try and get him in. So for the honey mixture, does it go around his eye or do I need to place it directly on it. Thank you in advanced!
Where ever the wound is -- so no crickets -- good substrate -- ok the lighting ---coils can cause irritation of the eyes-- is it possible he has scratched it w/ his foot or on something in the tank -- I thought possible shed as well but not seeing that either -- it almost looks like its a burn of some sort -- can he get too close to his basking light?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Where ever the wound is -- so no crickets -- good substrate -- ok the lighting ---coils can cause irritation of the eyes-- is it possible he has scratched it w/ his foot or on something in the tank -- I thought possible shed as well but not seeing that either -- it almost looks like its a burn of some sort -- can he get too close to his basking light?
I would try some Neosporin it almost looks like a burn and since there are no crickets in the tank it wouldnt be a bite -- but wash the eye first w/ the saline -- if it continues to swell w/ everything you try and not getting any better a vet visit would be in order --- you can use this website to find a vet www.arav.org but try some of the remedies first and see if it starts to clear up

Muham816

Hatchling Dragon
The closest he can get measures in at 113 degrees, he can’t get to the screen below the light or the light itself. There’s nothing overly sharp in his tank, just some rough edges on his decor. His nails probably do need to get trimmed so that’s definitely a possibility. How often would you recommend trimming their nails? I’ll go pick up some saline and neosporin and see if that clears it up. His head is off white so I think he’s going through a shed soon but his other eye is perfectly fine so I don’t think that’s it. Thank you for the website too I’ll be looking into that just in case.

Muham816

Hatchling Dragon
@Sadie he does occasionally scratch his head if a dubia crawls on his head while he’s eating so much that could be it. Ugh I just don’t want him to end up losing that eye!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The closest he can get measures in at 113 degrees, he can’t get to the screen below the light or the light itself. There’s nothing overly sharp in his tank, just some rough edges on his decor. His nails probably do need to get trimmed so that’s definitely a possibility. How often would you recommend trimming their nails? I’ll go pick up some saline and neosporin and see if that clears it up. His head is off white so I think he’s going through a shed soon but his other eye is perfectly fine so I don’t think that’s it. Thank you for the website too I’ll be looking into that just in case.
Get you temp down if you can 113 is pretty warm -i would get it down to 110 at the hottest-- if he is going to shed that could be it too - I didn't see any shed it looked normal- wash the eye first see if something washes out--- then try the Neosporin- I am stumped w/ ruling out all that could be a cause

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
His eye is not bad enough that he's going to lose it--- just watch what it does and try the remedies and see if they work-- I am gonna lean towards him scratching it w/ his claw --- try the Neosporin on it and see if it clears it up

Muham816

Hatchling Dragon
His eye is not bad enough that he's going to lose it--- just watch what it does and try the remedies and see if they work-- I am gonna lean towards him scratching it w/ his claw --- try the Neosporin on it and see if it clears it up
Just an update, Wayne’s eye is back to normal again, so several things to consider. He was indeed going through a shed on his head and back. The honey helped to bring down the swelling for sure! So maybe a combo of him shedding and scratching it. Idk I’m just glad his health is back up to par. Thank you everyone for your recommendations!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just an update, Wayne’s eye is back to normal again, so several things to consider. He was indeed going through a shed on his head and back. The honey helped to bring down the swelling for sure! So maybe a combo of him shedding and scratching it. Idk I’m just glad his health is back up to par. Thank you everyone for your recommendations!
So the honey worked? I would keep the dubias off his head :) -- it may have been infected or not -- either way its good its back to normal

Latest posts