• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Surprise it's me

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is the first time i've posted any of these guys, but i thought i'd share.

This is Hashuta (means like the wind)
Hashuta.jpg

This is Wanagi (means White Ghost or Spirit)
102_3981.jpg

This is Chikala (means Little)
102_3978.jpg

I guess you're wondering about the lucky charm background huh? LOL....looooooooooooooooooong story.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So adorable. Got to say I think Hashuta is the cutest.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
They're beautiful. I love the first one, can I ask what they are?

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Those guys look awesome, Gina!

Collared Lizards?

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've often considered a Collared. Gina will have to keep me posted on how well they do.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yup Collards.

These are fun little guys. They cohabitate , which makes keeping them easier and alot more activity to observe. Their basic needs are easy to meet, and they do love to eat. Being the creature of variety, I've been monitoring preferences in different bugs. Animals definitely have a preference! I'm fairly certain it has very little if anything to do with content, but more about the way the insect moves.

They love to jump, climb and run. Watching them, you think they're gonna kill theirselves. If we had that kind of flexibility, we'd be infallible. lol. It's amazing to watch them run about their cage, jumping from log to log, cave to cave. Definitely not a reptile for a cat house.

Hashuta is Blue. When he warms up, he glows this pretty color of blue. While he's young, his head will remain an off color, but will peak a very vibrant yellow as he becomes sexually mature.

Chikala and Wanagi are the lightest shade of yellow. They should darken some as they get older and get bright orange blushing as they sexually mature.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cohabitate....that's cool! How big of an enclosure for all three? Males and females get along okay? Or would the males want to copulate too much?

I think the intense activity would be good for our cats. LOL!

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can only imagine the intensity a cat would experience watching these guys. My chi goes ballistic. Of course she catches crix, beetles and anything else that hops, runs, crawls or squeeks. I can't tell you how many times she's run straight into the table mimicing their movements as they run from one end of their cage to the other. lol

The 3 of them live in a 40 gal breeder tank. They have 5 different hides in that space, a water bowl, a mealie bowl, and a log that stretches the length of the tank and runs parallel to the UVB.

In differentiating between what is common dominance with dragons, it doesn't exist with these guys. I do understand that males tend to take on the "dominant" role and will react to another male, but if there is NEVER a female within sight, those dominant behaviors usually don't arise. Females aren't aggressive nor dominant. But they take longer to settle down. Males are more reserved younger in life.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm....if you've got three in a 40 breeder, I'm thinking I could do at least 5 in a 180g enclosure. I'm going to have to start studying these guys a bit more. Assuming, of course, that 40 breeder won't last their lifetime.

You going to be breeding those?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Going to? lol..................Laggin a bit dear?

A 40 breeder will last them their lifetime. But I could see where they would enjoy a larger enclosure at Adult stages.
You have to remember, these guys are much smaller than dragons. They chase their food with enthusiasm. But that takes energy. If they run out of energy before they eat their fill, they don't grow well.
When I keep one alone, I use a 20 gallon. I'll even keep pairs in a 20.
I've never gone over a communal party of 3, but know people that keep 3 females to the 1 male.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
Going to? lol..................Laggin a bit dear?

A 40 breeder will last them their lifetime. But I could see where they would enjoy a larger enclosure at Adult stages.
You have to remember, these guys are much smaller than dragons. They chase their food with enthusiasm. But that takes energy. If they run out of energy before they eat their fill, they don't grow well.
When I keep one alone, I use a 20 gallon. I'll even keep pairs in a 20.
I've never gone over a communal party of 3, but know people that keep 3 females to the 1 male.

Yeah, I've seen where they only get to be about the size of Rankins as adults. Perhaps a partition to keep their food in a specific area that will allow them to feed properly would help.

And, yeah....I'm certainly laggin' these days. Haven't been online as much the last month. You have a post where you discussed breeding them? If so, I missed it big time!

I'd love to set up a community of these guys. Honestly, in an enclosure the size of the ones I build, the activity would be SO welcomed. I love Beardies and Igs....but doggonit, they're just not all that active. Do the Collards keep the activity up as adults?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
my adults are very active. They hunt at will, wagging their tails like dogs as they do, bask, run and jump and most of it is for their own pleasure. Things turn different around breeding season, when females go into blushing and males go on the prowl. Instinct kicks in and the natural drive to procreate take precedence over anything else. They say you should watch them carefully, as some males tend to get physical in mating, but I've never had that problem. My biggest problem with mating, is not catching the females when she's cycling. It's a small window.

I don't think I've ever posted anything about breeding these guys. Not too sure anyone even knew I had them. But eh.......that's me huh? You didn't miss it. It just wasn't there.

I've bred my adults a couple of times and I've kept all my females from those breedings. I bought another male to breed with them, but he isn't old enough yet. Next year, if i pay attention. LOL........somehow, it's just not at the top of my priority list to breed them. I just think they're fun little guys.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
I just think they're fun little guys.

Exactly why I would like a community of them. They'd be a TON of fun to watch as they interact. Perhaps I'll be a future customer. Actually, you can probably count on it. ;)

It'll likely be a while, though. But you know me....I like to do my homework so I'm prepared for whatever decision I make.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
honestly, knowing you as well as i do,
once you finish the cage, you're set. Lemme know when you start it. lol

Begin raising mealworms, collect some nice wood close to the length of your enclosure (you'll want it as straight as possible in the main portion), whatever you want for hides, 2+ small dishes (one is very shallow for water) the other is for mealies (psssst.........I use the bathroom oval soap dishes for $1.88 at Wally World), your UVB light the length of the enclosure. And you're set

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like this'll be a fun setup. I've got access to all the free driftwood a guy could want (as evident in Gandalf's enclosure). But honestly, if I want to stay married (and I really do)....this will have to wait for a while. ;)

Speaking of Gandalf, check out his thread. I'm going to update it as soon as I post this.

Latest posts