• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Supers and Phosporous

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Is it true that superworms have a high phosphorous content? The same guy who stated this also listed wax worms as a staple (obviously incorrect) and his dragon looked obese so I was hoping you guys could help me on this.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
According to the Beautiful D list YES they are high in P

Superworms 1:18 (Ca:p), 17.4% Proteine, 17.9% Fat, 6.8% Fibre, 60% Water. (High phosphorus, dust or inject to increase calcium)
Crics are 1:12

I have also noted on several sites that almost if not all live feeders have a high P to Ca ratio - Hence the calcium supplement we give

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok so feeding him small supers with calcium is fine then. Good to hear. I guess that is why Craiger suggested finding supplements with no phosphorous in them as the food itself already has plenty phosphorous.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I cant really remember, how old / long is your dragon? They shouldnt have supers until they are at least 16 inches long.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Sorry I wasn't being specific, the Petco close to me sells small supers which are barely any larger than mini meal worms. Rex is 10 inches long, not quite sure on age, estimate 2 months plus range. He really enjoys the small supers and hasn't had any change in poop cycle etc since he started eating them. Of course I dont feed him supers all the time, just one or two feedings a week. His staple is crickets, and I am soon going to start incorporating dubia's and silk worms. Silk worm egg kit is actually in the mail. Comes with 250 eggs so more than enough for Rex I think considering how fast they grow.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK, I dont know about small Supers, here we get like "one size fits all - HUGE
So def wouldnt give these to him, but if theyre like mini mealies, dont see a problem - Maybe someone else who knws more about supers can chime in . . . .
My kids have had silks as pets the past 2 years, so I have a box full of eggs.... This year Ill let a few grow to become moths and lay eggs. The rest will be FOOD, as soon as they hatch

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Now I have seen two different trains of thought regarding supers. Some claim that supers can be a staple and some say the opposite. From what I've read in the health stats it seems supers arent overly fatty. What is the consensus on that here? Anybody feel free to chime in.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There's a little more to supers than just the ca:p ratio and whether or not their high in fat. btw.......they are high in fat. that's why we give extras to gravid females and breeding dragons (to increase fat stores)

Any feeder can be over done.
Staple meaning principle item.

Variety is the key. With it you can balance the diet, nutrition, vitamins and calcium.

Some claim that supers can be a staple and some say the opposite.
Yes, but I'm still wondering if anyone really reads that chart.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Piggy is now 16.25 inches long, can she get the large supers or should I get her the small supers? She is only eating 3/4 crickets so I have not dropped her any of Oscars worms (large supers) yet, wanted to check before doing.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Offer one.. then watch the poop. IF all goes well, offer two the next time.. and watch...
Hope this helps.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will try today. She has been scared of worms in the past so I stopped feeding them. I wonder how she is going to do with one of those big monsters in there.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I dropped a super in there and she jumped down faster then a lightning bolt and ate it with no problem. Now just to wait on the poop.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
1 super yesterday and 1 huge poop today. Looks like supers are now in her feeder list

Latest posts