• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Super Worm Question

Emily

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My 6 month old is bored of mealworms, so I upgraded to superworms. Do I have to cut the heads off before I feed them to him? I heard that they can still cause damage inside their intestines...wasn't sure. Assistance needed, please. ;}

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No need 2 take the heads off, superworms are safe as is, as long as they're size appropriate 2 the dragon being fed.

Reactions: P

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I was told that also from a worker at Petsupermarket when I started using supers :rolleyes: It's not true though. Beardies will chew them up really good when they get a hold of them and if not their stomach acid will do the trick. Make sure that your beardie is big enough to eat them. If your beardie is still a little small try looking into the micro supers or maybe reptiworms.

Reactions: Jp

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ditto on what Jp and Drgnfly said..........from personal experience one bite is enough to kill a super within minutes.
I throw a heap of them in a shallow glass bowl and sometines she will grab 3-4 at a time, give them a good bite and 1 or 2 will fall out of her mouth gue to her being a little piggy.
The ones she bit dont even survive till the end of feeding time. Theyre dead by the time she stops eating. It actually makes me mad when she does this. Cos then i have to chuck them away.............what a waste of good food

Emily

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
He's a pretty good size, and he's never had supers before. He went ape **** when I got them, and he couldn't wait until we got home. He bit the bag I had them in! The reason I asked is because after I fed them he got really wiggly and anxious, but its good to know they won't do any damage. He'll be pleased to know the supers will keep coming. :) Now, how often can I feed them to him? Once a day? Every couple of days? I feed him crickets and grasshoppers as well.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have 2 main staples Roaches ans Supers. So i alternate them
atm shes only getting roaches as ALL my superbeetles died at once and the new babies are too small for her to eat. In about 2 weeks shell be back on both feeders

Just start yours slow. Feed lets say 5 today, watch and see if there are any pooping issues, if not, youre set.

The ape**** thing, yeah they do that with supers, so funny to see them get excited about it. Mine takes on a Bulldog stance when she sees me get her superworm container from the shelf, and then she starts to "tripple" in one spot cos im not fast enough in getting them to her (Only feeder she does this with)

Emily

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
lol yes the bulldog stance! It's so funny to watch him get excited. It makes me feel like a good mom:)

Reactions: P

Latest posts