• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

sun rays?

lovemybeardie99

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i just got a bearded dragon and i have the lamp and night lamp just not the uv lights. Instead of the uv lights can i take my dragon outside where the sun can give the uv light? if so how many hours a day?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi there and welcome. Congrats on the new addiction.

First if you could answer some basic setup questions so we have all the info for you.

1. The night lamp, is it a CHE that only gives off heat? Or is it a red/moon light that emits light as well?

Beardies need total darkness at night, so if your house temps stay above 65 at night, you dont need additional heat for them. If it drops below 65 the CHE (Ceramic heat emitter) is best as it only gives off heat and NO light to interfere with your beardies sleep.

2. Basking lamp - what temps are you getting here (Basking spot)?
3. Cool side temp?
4. What are you measuring the temps with? Type of thermometer?
5. Size of your enclosure

Then to answer your question about the UV rays.

Yes you can take your beardie outside in stead of having a UV tube. Approx 30 - 45 mins of natural sunlight will be equal to a day under the UV lamps. You can also take your beardie out a few times a day. Just make sure they are supervised. They are fast little critters and can get away really quick. Also watch that he/she doesnt eat any live bugs from outdoors as some may be harmful. And fireflies are DEADLY. It literally takes seconds from when eaten till death.

I would either use an outdoor screened viv, or keep him/her on a leash with you at all times.

Another thing to remember if youre gonna use natural sunlight is the calcium supplement for your beardie. If someone else here can just give the correct info, it should be different type from what you would use under the UV lamps.

Hope this answers your Q's. Im sure the others will chime in and give more info.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Natural sunlight is the best. 1/2 hour to 1 hour a day minimum. If you are using a combination of uvb and natural and you are getting him out at least daily for natural make sure you are using calcium WITHOUT D3 in it.

Latest posts