• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Suger glider question

Valiant

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
When my kids turn 5 I buy them their own pet. For my son it was his Beardy Mr. Gus, and for my daughter I want to get her something cute and fluffy. Husband is allergic to cats so we can't have one. But I came across sugar gliders and their playfulness and gentle nature would make a great pet for small kids. But I am concerned about the smell. Does anyone know if their smell is really bad like a ferret or if their pee is strong like a mouse? I've read conflicting statements but most come from breeders.

Cori

Juvenile Dragon
I wouldnt recommend a sugar glider for a small child. Smell is the least concerning. I have 2 sugar gliders and when you get them, specially as babies they are VERY bitey. They take A LOT of time to socialize to turn into the sweet ones you see. I've had mine for 2 months and they're just starting to get social. They also make noises called crabbing that might scare a child. Scares me when I'm not expecting it and I'm 26.

I highly suggest not getting a small child a sugar glider that will live 15ish years. I'd go with a teddy bear hamster or guinea pig. Cheaper, and better for children

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Cori

Juvenile Dragon
But to answer your question: I don't think they smell but their pee does stink and they pee on everything

Valiant

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks for your reply Cori. Like with our beardy the kids will have little to no contact tell it gets older and out of its biting stage. Gus was mean and it took me 4 months to get him used to us and to stop biting. And all playtime like with Gus will be adult supervised to make sure pet and kid don't get hurt. All also look into the hampsters and guinea pigs, thanks for the suggestion. So is this crabbing really loud or just unexpected noise?

Cori

Juvenile Dragon
If you want the sugar gliders to bond with your daughter she'd need to be doing things with them from day one. Putting her smell in their cage can help, but could be a hard transition once they're more social. They're getting excited when I open their cage but when my husband pops his head in they get scared and crab. Crabbing is anywhere from loud to very loud and unexpected.

Also with them being nocturnal a small child might not get to see them a lot. Mine don't come out before 9. Not sure what a 5 years olds bed time is. Mine do not like being disturbed before 9

Latest posts