• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sudden Aggressive Behavior

Gmf220

Bearded Dragon Egg
*sorry for the long post!*

Hi everyone! I'm a new bearded dragon owner and I got Jackson about 2 months ago. He's been a sweet little guy until now, he'd let me pet him, give him chin scratches and I am in the process of getting him used to being picked up (he isn't a fan so far). Starting yesterday he began getting a bit mean, and its only been getting worse. I tried picking him up a couple times yesterday but he squiggled off every time and I didn't want to force him to be held yet, but when I went to give him his dinner he black bearded me and opened his mouth when I put my hand in the cage. Then this morning when I opened his cage and went to see if he would let me pet him he black bearded again and hissed. He also seems skittish when I stick my hand in or even when I come close to the tank, whereas he was really comfortable with me before. He still let me hand feed him his crickets after he hissed at me but now I'm scared of him. This just seemed really sudden and I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if he's just going through a teenager phase (I'm not sure how old he is and if he's the right age though. I'll attach a pic of him for reference)? He has a 40 gal viv right now (and yes, I plan on getting a bigger one as he grows) with a reptisun 10 UV bulb and I've been monitoring his temps and humidity to make sure they stay in a good range. He did lose his tree yesterday because it was being cleaned and I thought that was why he was grumpy, but he has it back now and he's even worse. I just want him to have a good home and to feel safe with me, I'm just afraid he's going to be scared of me and associate me with being scared. I'm also concerned because if I can't get close to him I won't be able to take him out to clean his cage. Is this normal? Has anyone else had dragons do this?

Attachments

• 20210509_110220.jpg
    20210509_110220.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15

Gmf220

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also just to clarify, it's morning here so his temps are still rising, thats why they look a little low in the pic

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also just to clarify, it's morning here so his temps are still rising, thats why they look a little low in the pic
Lets go over the lighting --- your basking temps and UVB control the behavior of the dragon--- what are the basking temps they should be 95-100 for his age and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- NO stick ons -they are inaccurate-- the UVB should be a long tube fixture NO coils --- they are inadequate--- NO colored bulbs NO heat mats NO heat rocks ---if the UVB is incorrect and the temps are off he will not eat like he should -- the UVB helps the dragon absorb / synthesize the calcium hes ingesting-- and it prevents a ton of health issues -- the basking temps start digestion -- was the aggressiveness all of a sudden the lighting and temps are in question here -- they too play a huge role in the behavior of the dragon --

Gmf220

Bearded Dragon Egg
Lets go over the lighting --- your basking temps and UVB control the behavior of the dragon--- what are the basking temps they should be 95-100 for his age and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- NO stick ons -they are inaccurate-- the UVB should be a long tube fixture NO coils --- they are inadequate--- NO colored bulbs NO heat mats NO heat rocks ---if the UVB is incorrect and the temps are off he will not eat like he should -- the UVB helps the dragon absorb / synthesize the calcium hes ingesting-- and it prevents a ton of health issues -- the basking temps start digestion -- was the aggressiveness all of a sudden the lighting and temps are in question here -- they too play a huge role in the behavior of the dragon --
His basking temp is steadily around 104 (I use a digital probe to get exact temps), his lighting/temps hasn't changed at all since I got him. The cool side is around 78F, and the warm side aroind 88F. The aggression was pretty sudden which was why I thought maybe it was hormones.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
His basking temp is steadily around 104 (I use a digital probe to get exact temps), his lighting/temps hasn't changed at all since I got him. The cool side is around 78F, and the warm side aroind 88F. The aggression was pretty sudden which was why I thought maybe it was hormones.
As they get older they dont like real hot temps I would offer a gradient heat for him 95-100- the warm side should be in the 90's -- UVB please tell me what your using --- this is extremely important! NO coils!

Gmf220

Bearded Dragon Egg
As they get older they dont like real hot temps I would offer a gradient heat for him 95-100- the warm side should be in the 90's -- UVB please tell me what your using --- this is extremely important! NO coils!
This:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210509-113607_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210509-113607_Samsung Internet.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 14

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is a HUGE problem --- those bulbs cause all kinds of health issues and eventually death-- please get rid of it and get this --- https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-260...1620575225&sprefix=Zoo+Med+24",aps,215&sr=8-1 this comes w/ the extra 10.0 bulb you want that in the tank -- the 5.0 is good and can be used as a back up but the distance and placement of this bulb is different from the 10.0--- get this ASAP-- this is one of the reasons I am thinking the dragon is being aggressive -- they normally are not an aggressive animal but the lighting will cause this --- plus the 13 watt is a terrible bulb -- at this point your dragon is either getting NO UVB or very little --
the 24" fixture can be used on top of the screen BUT IT MUST have a wide hole screen if its a fine mesh like a screen door it needs to go inside the tank w/a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor -- top of screen 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor ---

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum :) sorry ur lil guys mad :( and Yea sadies right those bulbs are a big no-no for beardies, lots of reptile shops “recommend” them (if u think about it from a corporate stand point, they want ur lizard to die so you spend more money at their shops) please get a long tubular uvb, these are best for overallness.
From the look of him id say hes probably getting close to being a juvie, you need put up some kind of background on all three back walls aswell (beardies HATE their reflections, they think it’s another dragon) this could be where his attitude is coming from along with the wrong uvb, ur tank looks a little sparse in my opinion (I assume he has one hide on the other side of the tank?) they really need atleast 2 hides , one on the hot side and one on the cool side, if you want to bond better with him you’re gonna have to do a couple things (its great ur hand feeding him!) get one of your clean shirts/dish rag and rub it all over your clean body to get ur scent on it (put this in his sleeping spot) dont be afraid of him, it’s mostly a bluff , if he does bite it shouldn’t hurt (you need to desensitize him) you do NOT want to get bit by adult beardie (trust me , id rather get bit by my tokay gecko than my beardie lol) once you have all your lighting corrected post back and let us know if anything changes, I hope its just the lighting and the backgrounds that are the issue.

Gmf220

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum :) sorry ur lil guys mad :( and Yea sadies right those bulbs are a big no-no for beardies, lots of reptile shops “recommend” them (if u think about it from a corporate stand point, they want ur lizard to die so you spend more money at their shops) please get a long tubular uvb, these are best for overallness.
From the look of him id say hes probably getting close to being a juvie, you need put up some kind of background on all three back walls aswell (beardies HATE their reflections, they think it’s another dragon) this could be where his attitude is coming from along with the wrong uvb, ur tank looks a little sparse in my opinion (I assume he has one hide on the other side of the tank?) they really need atleast 2 hides , one on the hot side and one on the cool side, if you want to bond better with him you’re gonna have to do a couple things (its great ur hand feeding him!) get one of your clean shirts/dish rag and rub it all over your clean body to get ur scent on it (put this in his sleeping spot) dont be afraid of him, it’s mostly a bluff , if he does bite it shouldn’t hurt (you need to desensitize him) you do NOT want to get bit by adult beardie (trust me , id rather get bit by my tokay gecko than my beardie lol) once you have all your lighting corrected post back and let us know if anything changes, I hope its just the lighting and the backgrounds that are the issue.
Thank you for the suggestions!! I had no idea the bulb was bad, I'll find him a tubular one as soon as possible. I'll also get him more backgrounds, I did notice he's been going after his reflection more the past few days but I didn't connect it to the aggression. He does have some more accessories on the other side of his cage, he has a log hide (he doesnt use it much though), a climbing thing and a soft corner with some toys and a small blanket. He'll probably be outgrowing the log soon though so I'll look into some better hides as well. I'll adjust his setup and leave him alone for a bit and see if he gets less angry. :) thanks again!

Monstermug

Hatchling Dragon
*sorry for the long post!*

Hi everyone! I'm a new bearded dragon owner and I got Jackson about 2 months ago. He's been a sweet little guy until now, he'd let me pet him, give him chin scratches and I am in the process of getting him used to being picked up (he isn't a fan so far). Starting yesterday he began getting a bit mean, and its only been getting worse. I tried picking him up a couple times yesterday but he squiggled off every time and I didn't want to force him to be held yet, but when I went to give him his dinner he black bearded me and opened his mouth when I put my hand in the cage. Then this morning when I opened his cage and went to see if he would let me pet him he black bearded again and hissed. He also seems skittish when I stick my hand in or even when I come close to the tank, whereas he was really comfortable with me before. He still let me hand feed him his crickets after he hissed at me but now I'm scared of him. This just seemed really sudden and I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if he's just going through a teenager phase (I'm not sure how old he is and if he's the right age though. I'll attach a pic of him for reference)? He has a 40 gal viv right now (and yes, I plan on getting a bigger one as he grows) with a reptisun 10 UV bulb and I've been monitoring his temps and humidity to make sure they stay in a good range. He did lose his tree yesterday because it was being cleaned and I thought that was why he was grumpy, but he has it back now and he's even worse. I just want him to have a good home and to feel safe with me, I'm just afraid he's going to be scared of me and associate me with being scared. I'm also concerned because if I can't get close to him I won't be able to take him out to clean his cage. Is this normal? Has anyone else had dragons do this?
I'm no expert but, I'm pretty sure reptiles don't show or receive affection the way we do. If they let you stroke their heads it just means they are being submissive to you. If you want them to do something I think you have to associate whatever you want them to do with something they enjoy. For example if they think that climbing on your shoulder will get them fed then they are more likely to want to go there when they are hungry. Or even use you as a heat source when they are cold.

But before you attempt anything, they need to learn that you mean them no harm otherwise chasing them with your hands will just make them even more scared of you and be accustomed to their surroundings. Also sort out their life support too. If you keep taking them out and they feel discomfort they will start to associate that with you. I find that my baby doesn't like being out her enclosure for more than 5 minutes or so. I think it has something to do with them being small and loosing body heat much faster than adults. Plus they eat loads of insects so which gives them tons of energy so they won't sit still and when they move and you try to chase them with your massive hands it scares them. Perhaps start off with handling them just as the lights turn on so they are more docile and they can feel the heat from your body first and associate you with something nice rather than something unpleasant. Reptiles aren't the easiest to train. Its taken me three years just to tame my Indian Star tortoise to eat from my hand but then again anything Tortoises do takes 8 times slower .

When they are adults and they are eating mostly vegetation and be big enough not too loose heat so quickly and, they will not have the energy to move around much. That's probably why you hardly see any youtubers with a baby dragon on their shoulders for more than 5 minutes or so unless they feel comfortable there.

Anyway sorry for the long reply, it seems nobody answered your OP so I thought I chime in. Correct me if I'm wrong experts!

Gmf220

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm no expert but, I'm pretty sure reptiles don't show or receive affection the way we do. If they let you stroke their heads it just means they are being submissive to you. If you want them to do something I think you have to associate whatever you want them to do with something they enjoy. For example if they think that climbing on your shoulder will get them fed then they are more likely to want to go there when they are hungry. Or even use you as a heat source when they are cold.

But before you attempt anything, they need to learn that you mean them no harm otherwise chasing them with your hands will just make them even more scared of you and be accustomed to their surroundings. Also sort out their life support too. If you keep taking them out and they feel discomfort they will start to associate that with you. I find that my baby doesn't like being out her enclosure for more than 5 minutes or so. I think it has something to do with them being small and loosing body heat much faster than adults. Plus they eat loads of insects so which gives them tons of energy so they won't sit still and when they move and you try to chase them with your massive hands it scares them. Perhaps start off with handling them just as the lights turn on so they are more docile and they can feel the heat from your body first and associate you with something nice rather than something unpleasant. Reptiles aren't the easiest to train. Its taken me three years just to tame my Indian Star tortoise to eat from my hand but then again anything Tortoises do takes 8 times slower .

When they are adults and they are eating mostly vegetation and be big enough not too loose heat so quickly and, they will not have the energy to move around much. That's probably why you hardly see any youtubers with a baby dragon on their shoulders for more than 5 minutes or so unless they feel comfortable there.

Anyway sorry for the long reply, it seems nobody answered your OP so I thought I chime in. Correct me if I'm wrong experts!
Thank you for the response!! Sorry it's taken me so long to reply! He's very slowly getting more comfortable and he's actually had some days where he lets me hold him for longer periods :) he's still not consistently ok with being handled so I'll definitely try your suggestions! :)

Latest posts