• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate

morrylev

Bearded Dragon Egg
I recently did some research on Uromastyx and there were some discussion about using dust free bird seed (millet) as a substrate for desert lizards.
The reasoning was that the seeds were edible, wouldn't case impaction because they easily pass through there system.
Any ideas on the subject

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, we used to keep uro's on parakeet/finch food. This does bring up a good question. I have never tried this with dragons to say yes or no.

morrylev

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am using alfalfa pellets for Rickie. It has antimicrobial qualities and it's a natural product. The alfalfa pellets make cleaning up poop really easy also.
The millet seed or I guess the the seed you used might be an alternative???

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
I cant see the seeds harming a dragon but again i do not have any experience with dragons and a seed substrate to say for sure. Would i try it? Yes but i would pay attention to details.

If you do try this. Please, keep us updated.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Millet, alfalfa, bran, seeds of any kind, all have the potential to mold & harbor bacteria because they absorb moisture. Would not be my choice.

Latest posts