• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate

MuggleMaggie

Hatchling Dragon
Ok, straight from the guide: "Despite the negative “hype” children’s play sand is one of the best options if particle substrate is to be used, when properly maintained, for BDs greater than 10" in length. Calcium Sand is highly over priced and serves no additional benefit. It is a possible high impaction risk if ingested, due to clumping, therefore is not recommended."

Draco is 9 inches. So, soon he will be big enough for sand. Is this also the time that we should make his enclosure larger? Right now, we have our 125 gallon tank sectioned off into a 1/3 for him to make sure he can get his food easily, etc.

Also, it says as long as the play sand is properly maintained. How do you maintain it properly?

The UVB bulb and heat lamp are over his basking spot... when his cage gets bigger... will I need more UVB bulbs? Or should he be fine with it just over his basking spot?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, straight from the guide: "Despite the negative “hype” children’s play sand is one of the best options if particle substrate is to be used, when properly maintained, for BDs greater than 10" in length. Calcium Sand is highly over priced and serves no additional benefit. It is a possible high impaction risk if ingested, due to clumping, therefore is not recommended."

Draco is 9 inches. So, soon he will be big enough for sand. Is this also the time that we should make his enclosure larger? Right now, we have our 125 gallon tank sectioned off into a 1/3 for him to make sure he can get his food easily, etc.
Providing that you do not clutter the larger enclosure with unnecessary 'Fluff/Junk', giving the feeders more hiding spots than is needed, partitioning should not be necessary at all. The K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple Stupid) method of setup is always the best for any age BD & will alleviate many/most potential housing issues.

Also, it says as long as the play sand is properly maintained. How do you maintain it properly?
Being sure that waste is regularly removed as reasonably soon as possible after it is deposited & that your BD is well hydrated by feeding greens, regular misting & warm soaks.
Misting/Bathing: A twice weekly misting from head to tail with a fine spray mister of room temperature water helps hydration and shedding. Two or three times a month let your dragon have a bath in chest deep warm water, not too hot. Dragons seem to enjoy soaking and it may help to assist in hydration & clearing of minor impactions or constipation. Dragons will often defecate in the bath water, change the water immediately and run a fresh bath, they will only soil their water once on most occasions. Baths are ideal prior to allowing your dragon out of the enclosure as it helps to prevent "accidents". Do not leave your dragon unattended!

The UVB bulb and heat lamp are over his basking spot... when his cage gets bigger... will I need more UVB bulbs? Or should he be fine with it just over his basking spot?
UVB is only needed to cover the Basking Spot, if the temps are setup properly, that is where it should be spending the majority of it's time, basking, so more is not needed. BDs should be able to get out of, away from the UVB, should they need the need to, in the shade so to speak, in most setup\enclosures, generally the cool side provides this option\area.

Good Luck

MuggleMaggie

Hatchling Dragon
Oh, this is exciting, then! I think I will add another hide on the cool side once he is big enough, and just let that be it. Simple enough. :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
One hide placed on the cool side is more than enough. Hides on the hot side can become like ovens inside them when heated by the heat lamp, because of no air flow.

Hides are a just in case thing, that most BDs rarely ever use if set up properly & they are comfortable in their surroundings, other than possibly in the case of brumation. Many of us do not provide one at all.

MuggleMaggie

Hatchling Dragon
Well,, what we have right now is under his basking stick, to give it some height. He never really goes in it, but it's there.

Pat B

Super Moderator
I took my hide out months ago after I kept track to see if Spike ever used it which he didn't. It was just one more thing where feeders could hide. :)

MuggleMaggie

Hatchling Dragon
I took my hide out months ago after I kept track to see if Spike ever used it which he didn't. It was just one more thing where feeders could hide. :)
I took ours out this morning. He's never used it. It was the same. crickets were just hiding in it, too.

thorn

Hatchling Dragon
I don't take my hide out of the tank just because hes ontop of it a lot. he goes from his basking spot after about 2 hours of sitting there to maybe an hour on top of his hide on the cool side back to the basking. i have moved the lights changed the lights and everything else just in case it was to hot or something but i think he just likes to change spots.

Pat B

Super Moderator
That is good. Even if he uses it for sitting on top. Spike didn't use it for anything that is why I took it out. :D

Latest posts