• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would like to throw my $.02 in here. I have seen many attempt exactly what you are all proposing & every one that I have run across, very quickly went to one or the other, either straight sand or straight non-particle substrate. They quickly found that, providing a combination of the 2, while pleasing to the eye when first setup, generally only stayed that way for a few hours\days & was very maintenance intensive. Digging, shooting sand all over, dragging sand out just by moving from area to area, always made the enclosure look dirty & untidy. While it can be swept up easily from the non-particle side, quite time consuming because every thing had to be removed from that side of the enclosure to do so, every time.

They also found that waste clean up was more difficult, particularly when it would poop on the retaining wall holding the sand, as it was difficult to remove & clean properly, along with a harder cleanup when they went on a sand strewn tile. Sand boxes are no different. Just a Heads-Up ...

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I agree wholeheartedly with Germ and as in my own preference my choice is definitely all sand for my substrate...I tend to steer toward as low maintenance as possible always. I do have tiles and bricks in Mungi's enclosure but they are used in as sparingly and as safe a way as I can and none are set permanantly making them as easy to remove for cleaning as possible when required.
My suggestion of a retaining "wall" was just that...a suggestion of how to get the effect I believe that he was looking for without going the tuperware bowl route that he had stated...I.can assure that a tuperware bowl place in Mungi's enclosure would be flipped and dumped in a matter of moments were I to try that..lol.
It is.purely a matter of personal choice how one decides to decorate and furnish their enclosure. As long as the choice is not detrimental to the health and well-being of the creature being housed then a person can go as wild or mild as they choose.
However being new to the world of beardies or what-ever the creature may be it is easy to overdo and make a mess of trying to care for your creature.
So as far as can you have dual substrates and make it successful? Absolutely!
Will it be the best choice? Probably not as it will require a lot more time and energy to maintain.
Germ's frequently posted reference to the K.I.S.S. Rule (keep it simple,Stupid) is sound advice which I totally agree with because the more basic you make things will translate to less work to maintain leaving you and your dragon more time for the most important thing which is to Simply Enjoy Eachother.

"...That's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Comedian/Social Commentarian Dennis Miller

thorn

Hatchling Dragon
I wish I could go full sand or part sand but as I said my girlfriend does not want sand to be tracked all over her house. Quick question about the repti carpet. I have also noticed that all my feeders some how find a way to get under the dam thing. Does any one know how I can stop that from happening other than like velcroing down the carpet?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't understand why she thinks this would be the case. This is not a cat sand or litter box. It is a dry enclosure, with tall sides to keep every thing contained, so when the BD is removed, there would be nothing sticking to it to be transferred around the house during the occasional outing.

That's one of the hazards of any non-permanent\removable substrate. If there is a way at all to get under it, they will find it or make a way to hide from the light. Personally I use textured, padded vinyl deck flooring, permanently glued to the floor with Contact Cement. Textured Vinyl non-adhesive shelf liner would serve the same purpose, both fairly easy to clean thoroughly. There are many other alternatives too, ceramic tile, slate, textured lino, to name a few. I am almost sure that you would not like part sand for the reasons mentioned above, but that would be your choice.

thorn

Hatchling Dragon
Ya I keep telling her that sand won't go all over the place but god forbid she listen to me for once. I can't really afford to buy any other kind of bedding right now. I think I might jus have to line the sides of the tank with rocks to keep the sides down. It's goin to be such a pain in the to clean it now -.- if I lived in a better part of town we could just move his tank to my place and spend more time there

Moderated

thorn

Hatchling Dragon
Well today my dragon took his first bm and when my irk friend realized she would have to clean it she I'm out of town for like a week she just said lets go get some sand. Now all his tank need ls some wood perches and maybe a hammock.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
chuckle.gif

sean

Bearded Dragon Egg
just an update.
i decided to hold off on the ceramic/ slate tile for now.
decided to just get another piece of rep-carpet and used double stick tape to hold the edges down, to avoid the crickets from going under. Seems to be working really good. I'm sure when it comes time to change it, I'll end up putting in more work. But taking the time to do it right the first time saves time in the long run.

Latest posts