• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate

bryan torrey

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got a little dragon at 5 months old 2 days ago. My 75 gallon tank is coming in on Friday, 48x18x20. I'm not sure what substrate to use, I looked it up and it seems a lot of people are against using sand or walnut shells, which he is on now. I couldn't really find any reptile carpet in stock that would fit the tank and I'm afraid if we get tile he wont be able to walk on it (he's having walking issues, his walking has been getting better though!). But I'm really considering tile. And I also heard that they like to dig. Any recommendations on how I can set up his tank?

And unrelated, if anyone has decoration recommendations ill take those as well:)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got a little dragon at 5 months old 2 days ago. My 75 gallon tank is coming in on Friday, 48x18x20. I'm not sure what substrate to use, I looked it up and it seems a lot of people are against using sand or walnut shells, which he is on now. I couldn't really find any reptile carpet in stock that would fit the tank and I'm afraid if we get tile he wont be able to walk on it (he's having walking issues, his walking has been getting better though!). But I'm really considering tile. And I also heard that they like to dig. Any recommendations on how I can set up his tank?

And unrelated, if anyone has decoration recommendations ill take those as well:)
Decorations? Like plants ? Or basking decor? The tile would be good but you need to get him off that walnut shells ASAP-- they are toxic to dragons---- use paper towels for now-----textured slated ceramic tile from your local home improvement store cut to the size of the tank from inside it needs to be cut w/ a tile cutter so you dont get jagged edges--- you want texture NO coarse tile -- it will give abrasions and you want something that has texture for NON slip or you can use textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank -- why is he having walking issues at 5 months old ? What are you using for a UVB? NO coils please --- basking temps need to be taken w/a digital probe thermometer ---

bryan torrey

Bearded Dragon Egg
Decorations? Like plants ? Or basking decor? The tile would be good but you need to get him off that walnut shells ASAP-- they are toxic to dragons---- use paper towels for now-----textured slated ceramic tile from your local home improvement store cut to the size of the tank from inside it needs to be cut w/ a tile cutter so you dont get jagged edges--- you want texture NO coarse tile -- it will give abrasions and you want something that has texture for NON slip or you can use textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank -- why is he having walking issues at 5 months old ? What are you using for a UVB? NO coils please --- basking temps need to be taken w/a digital probe thermometer ---
Any decoration, he only has a cave and a small little tree-thing.

Are there places that cut the tile for you?

Walking issues because of his previous owner I'm assuming. They didn't do research and he didn't have a uvb light and they got him at 2 weeks old:( He's getting better at walking though and he has a vet appointment soon. I have a T8 I right now but I have a T5 coming in on Friday as well and yes I'm using a digital probe. he's also only in a 20 gallon so the 75 is gonna be a big upgrade for him.

While I'm here, in this 20gallon tank his temperature gradient is good, but when I upgrade will I need stronger lights? I have a 75w basking light and no light for the cool side because the uvb lights that part up. What will I need to buy? I think I heard you can just use a normal white house bulb for the cool side but I'm not sure.

bryan torrey

Bearded Dragon Egg
oh I talked to you on Sunday.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
6613A0F4-22BE-4469-AFEE-880F4C3A34B1.jpeg

Welcome to the forum :) while i 100% agree u should start your beardie on paper bags/towels/or tile, sand and loose substrates are perfect okay to use, AS LONG as your bearded dragon is getting proper nutrition and ur bowl feeding, it just needs to be the right kind and in the proper amount, a 100% sand enclosure = bad nails, RI, and other issues, id try “excavator clay” (the front left of my enclosure) or “stone desert” (back left), i don’t recommend reptie bark for babies(wait till ur lizards an adult if you want bark chips) if you have any questions please ask , ive tried almost every substrate there is (ABSOLUTELY NO CALCIUM SAND this is bad, big no-no)

Attachments

• 39F9F30E-FB54-45C1-BDA2-F83038AF7692.jpeg
    39F9F30E-FB54-45C1-BDA2-F83038AF7692.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Any decoration, he only has a cave and a small little tree-thing.

Are there places that cut the tile for you?

Walking issues because of his previous owner I'm assuming. They didn't do research and he didn't have a uvb light and they got him at 2 weeks old:( He's getting better at walking though and he has a vet appointment soon. I have a T8 I right now but I have a T5 coming in on Friday as well and yes I'm using a digital probe. he's also only in a 20 gallon so the 75 is gonna be a big upgrade for him.

While I'm here, in this 20gallon tank his temperature gradient is good, but when I upgrade will I need stronger lights? I have a 75w basking light and no light for the cool side because the uvb lights that part up. What will I need to buy? I think I heard you can just use a normal white house bulb for the cool side but I'm not sure.
You have caught the developing MBD early its not going to get any worse as long as you keep that UVB correctly placed and not expired --- when you get the T 5 post back on here and I will help you get it placed in your tank --
Some Home Depots will cut tile for you-- ours here do not -- we ended up buying a tile cutter from Harbor Freight for like $50 and have used it several times since ---
The T 8 your using now is unobstructed and has NO clear plastic cover over the fixture and basking decor directly underneath 6-8 inches ??????????????? This is extremely important that it is set up this way for now --

Your 75 gallon tank is going to need a 100 watt or a 150 watt for basking temps-- BUT YOU MUST have the digital probe to get accurate temps -- and you want a piece of decor thats going to give him a gradient heat that offers different places to sit stand lay on or under something like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...riftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 this comes from petsmart - they have great decor for dragons -- I use this piece in my tanks and my dragons love it -- I also have two different hides in their tanks-- I will post pics of Blazes tank
Your T 5 is going to be good for the 75 gallon what length I know I asked already but am trying to answer your questions --
You can use a LED for your cool side of the tank you want the cool side 80's - you will need a stick on for ambient temps --- you also want a digital probe hygrometer --- place the probe on center back wall of the tank --

Attachments

• Blaze tank 12-29-2020.jpg
    Blaze tank 12-29-2020.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 12

bryan torrey

Bearded Dragon Egg
You have caught the developing MBD early its not going to get any worse as long as you keep that UVB correctly placed and not expired --- when you get the T 5 post back on here and I will help you get it placed in your tank --
Some Home Depots will cut tile for you-- ours here do not -- we ended up buying a tile cutter from Harbor Freight for like $50 and have used it several times since ---
The T 8 your using now is unobstructed and has NO clear plastic cover over the fixture and basking decor directly underneath 6-8 inches ??????????????? This is extremely important that it is set up this way for now --

Your 75 gallon tank is going to need a 100 watt or a 150 watt for basking temps-- BUT YOU MUST have the digital probe to get accurate temps -- and you want a piece of decor thats going to give him a gradient heat that offers different places to sit stand lay on or under something like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...riftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 this comes from petsmart - they have great decor for dragons -- I use this piece in my tanks and my dragons love it -- I also have two different hides in their tanks-- I will post pics of Blazes tank
Your T 5 is going to be good for the 75 gallon what length I know I asked already but am trying to answer your questions --
You can use a LED for your cool side of the tank you want the cool side 80's - you will need a stick on for ambient temps --- you also want a digital probe hygrometer --- place the probe on center back wall of the tank --
I cant put the uvb light into this tank but the bulb is exposed but Its a mesh top with wider holes. The T5 I ordered was 24" I think. And yes I do have a digital probe. They gave us a tank with stick on hygrometers, but should I get a digital one just in case? Also any tips for keeping the humidity down? I opened my vents and keep my door open with a low fan blowing, that keeps it at about 35-40%/ Thank you so much btw.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I cant put the uvb light into this tank but the bulb is exposed but Its a mesh top with wider holes. The T5 I ordered was 24" I think. And yes I do have a digital probe. They gave us a tank with stick on hygrometers, but should I get a digital one just in case? Also any tips for keeping the humidity down? I opened my vents and keep my door open with a low fan blowing, that keeps it at about 35-40%/ Thank you so much btw.
Your talking about the 20 gallon you don't need to -- take the UVB place width wise across the tank butt the screen up to it--- put it on one end-- take your basking bulb put it on top of screen next to it I will post a pic of my 20 gallon when I first got blaze-- your humidity is fine optimal is 30-40% if it gets to 70% or below 20% there is a problem-- mine have gone up to 50% the last couple of days - a digital hygrometer is nice to have place in the center back wall it will read the whole tank

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your talking about the 20 gallon you don't need to -- take the UVB place width wise across the tank butt the screen up to it--- put it on one end-- take your basking bulb put it on top of screen next to it I will post a pic of my 20 gallon when I first got blaze-- your humidity is fine optimal is 30-40% if it gets to 70% or below 20% there is a problem-- mine have gone up to 50% the last couple of days - a digital hygrometer is nice to have place in the center back wall it will read the whole tank

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_084445.jpg
    IMG_20190914_084445.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts