• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate for older beardies

SpikeBeauCloud1

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I've recently been looking into a loose substrate (ecoearth, soil, etc) for my 7 and 6 year old beardies. I've switched between tiles and carpet through out their entire lives. I've noticed that some of my 7 year old beardies nails have been twisting, like her weight was too much. So I was wondering if there was any type of loose substrate that will be softer on her nails as well as her joints. I don't want anything that has a high risk of impaction or anything else of that nature- as my 7 year old isn't the brightest.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Hi, I've recently been looking into a loose substrate (ecoearth, soil, etc) for my 7 and 6 year old beardies. I've switched between tiles and carpet through out their entire lives. I've noticed that some of my 7 year old beardies nails have been twisting, like her weight was too much. So I was wondering if there was any type of loose substrate that will be softer on her nails as well as her joints. I don't want anything that has a high risk of impaction or anything else of that nature- as my 7 year old isn't the brightest.
A blend of 50% play sand, 30% organic topsoil, and 20% excavator clay makes a great and natural substrate mix that's not too expensive to make or maintain.

SpikeBeauCloud1

Bearded Dragon Egg
A blend of 50% play sand, 30% organic topsoil, and 20% excavator clay makes a great and natural substrate mix that's not too expensive to make or maintain.
Thank you. So my 7 year old is female, and she's never been gravid or anything, is there a chance this could entice her to try and lay eggs?

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Thank you. So my 7 year old is female, and she's never been gravid or anything, is there a chance this could entice her to try and lay eggs?
She's around the age when beardies stop producing eggs, and if she's never laid before she isn't likely to start. I don't think there's much of a chance of her trying to lay eggs at this point.

SpikeBeauCloud1

Bearded Dragon Egg
She's around the age when beardies stop producing eggs, and if she's never laid before she isn't likely to start. I don't think there's much of a chance of her trying to lay eggs at this point.
Alright thanks, and one more question, sorry! What should I do to maintain the substrate you listed? How often should it be changed, what to look out for? I am mainly worried about mold or the beardies inhaling it or something.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Alright thanks, and one more question, sorry! What should I do to maintain the substrate you listed? How often should it be changed, what to look out for? I am mainly worried about mold or the beardies inhaling it or something.
I use a coco fiber playsand reptibark spagnum moss, it gives the substtate a nice bounce to it, id just spot clean how you did with ur tile setup, , u can add a little water to ur subtrate mixture , you dont want it wet just enough to get them blended, if ur doing a naturel setup setup, id get springtail, Earwig and some other cleaner cree bugs, if ur feeding super or meal worms u can throw a couples in there too

SpikeBeauCloud1

Bearded Dragon Egg
I use a coco fiber playsand reptibark spagnum moss, it gives the substtate a nice bounce to it, id just spot clean how you did with ur tile setup, , u can add a little water to ur subtrate mixture , you dont want it wet just enough to get them blended, if ur doing a naturel setup setup, id get springtail, Earwig and some other cleaner cree bugs, if ur feeding super or meal worms u can throw a couples in there too
Alright, thank you!

Latest posts