• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate Dusting for Easier Cleanup

zBoat1990

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone, my family just brought home a new juvenile beardy and I have a substrate question. All the articles you read online basically scare you into not doing any form of loose particulate substrate for the risk of impaction. Can't argue with the logic behind that and so we opted for using a textured mat in our enclosure. However, when I have to clean up our guy's messes, I inevitably grind some of the waste into the mat, leaving it stained and not exactly "clean".

My question becomes, can I do a light sprinkling of substrate on top of this mat just to help keep things from sticking/absorbing into it as badly and make cleanup a little easier? If so, what kind of substrate would you recommend for such an endeavor? Ultimately would love to give him a more natural feel under his feet and let him more or less play in the dirt, but I understand the hazards.

Thanks for any/all suggestions.

Beardie Lover

Juvenile Dragon
I use shelf liner and it is VERY easy to clean. You can also get a rubber bath tub mat. All I do is use paper towels and the mess comes up super quick. Also, there are artificial grass mats you could get.

zBoat1990

Bearded Dragon Egg
I use shelf liner and it is VERY easy to clean. You can also get a rubber bath tub mat. All I do is use paper towels and the mess comes up super quick. Also, there are artificial grass mats you could get.
Yea, we are using the Exo-Terra desert mat, so basically the natural feel is glued down, and that works well for him and keeps his claws in check because it still files them a little, but the rocks and sand bits of the mat hold his droppings a little. That's why I was thinking of a dusting of sand to keep it from sticking as badly, because a paper towel works on all but the bottom layer of it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey everyone, my family just brought home a new juvenile beardy and I have a substrate question. All the articles you read online basically scare you into not doing any form of loose particulate substrate for the risk of impaction. Can't argue with the logic behind that and so we opted for using a textured mat in our enclosure. However, when I have to clean up our guy's messes, I inevitably grind some of the waste into the mat, leaving it stained and not exactly "clean".

My question becomes, can I do a light sprinkling of substrate on top of this mat just to help keep things from sticking/absorbing into it as badly and make cleanup a little easier? If so, what kind of substrate would you recommend for such an endeavor? Ultimately would love to give him a more natural feel under his feet and let him more or less play in the dirt, but I understand the hazards.

Thanks for any/all suggestions.
Yes the textured shelf liner is easy to clean up w / vinegar/ water 50/50- or textured slated ceramic tile as well - same clean up - those can be bought at your local home improvement store or Walmart for the shelf liner - the tile would need to be cut w/ a tile cutter to prevent jagged edges - need more help please ask

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I have all kinds of substrates, really it’s a situation of will ur your dragon eat it , and why , they could be lacking something in their in diet.
My bearded dragon doesn’t eat her substrate and even spends time outside in plants, it is important if you have substrate to either bowl feed or hand feed your dragon.

Attachments

• 2621D432-767B-40C9-953B-26D0BA768365.jpeg
    2621D432-767B-40C9-953B-26D0BA768365.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 5
  • A9D60ECB-2C17-4C0B-82BC-23D8CB2DBD44.jpeg
    A9D60ECB-2C17-4C0B-82BC-23D8CB2DBD44.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 964E9AB4-DDD5-44ED-9A2C-6B8B6D0E0974.jpeg
    964E9AB4-DDD5-44ED-9A2C-6B8B6D0E0974.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5

Latest posts