• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate Advice!

JBKenyon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone!

I am having trouble finding a good solution to a sanitary substrate that is easy to replace and clean...
My issues that prevent most solutions from working out are:
- My beardie likes to knock over his water bowl making things wet
- I was using a plastic mat for a base because it was easy to wipe down but when he knocks over his water bowl, the water gets underneath the mat and gets gross if I don't clean it up right away
- I am using bricks to build up his hot spot (easy to bake to remove bacteria / parasites) but they are heavy, making it difficult to quickly replace an kind of paper towel material (to soak up an spills) that is laid along the entire base
- If I don't make the base solid, he will try and get underneath the paper towels (the latest base I was trying to use), throwing them everywhere

I am at a loss for something that will 1. soak up any spills/messes 2. not be easy for him to get underneath 3. be quick for me to replace if he soils a part of it

Does anyone have any good advice for a substrate they have had luck with?

Thanks in advance!

Iangie

Bearded Dragon Egg
What about a reptile carpet, it's easy to clean and also soaks up any spillage! I use it and have been happy with it so far.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would just get rid of the water bowl. They don't really drink standing water and tend to just use it to make messes. Plus water bowls can raise the humidity too high in the tank.

JBKenyon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would just get rid of the water bowl. They don't really drink standing water and tend to just use it to make messes. Plus water bowls can raise the humidity too high in the tank.
True - he gets a bath 2-3 times a week anyways.
What is your opinion on the carpets? I tried one before but my vet told me it held in the bacteria and ultimately the coccidia, making it tough to keep clean.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Carpets can be hard to clean. I used to use them and I had two for each tank so while I was cleaning one I had a backup. I spot cleaned everyday and then deep cleaned them weekly. Now I use non adhesive shelf liner, it’s very easy to wipe up messes.

JBKenyon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Carpets can be hard to clean. I used to use them and I had two for each tank so while I was cleaning one I had a backup. I spot cleaned everyday and then deep cleaned them weekly. Now I use non adhesive shelf liner, it’s very easy to wipe up messes.
I agree about the carpets. I too am currently using non-adhesive shelf liner! Maybe once I remove the water bowl, there won't be an issue of moisture building up underneath.
Thank you PatsyB!

AnandaTheDragon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I use moss mats. My guy likes them. I have four in rotation. I hand wash in a bleach solution periodically as they rotate through. Every cycle I toss one and replace it. No issues yet after a couple years.

Latest posts