• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stressed out to much???

Spike.Cloud.Bow

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just got two new beardies and my male which I have had for about 4 years is being very aggressive towards both of them... He hasn't stopped bobbing his head and trying to find a way to look at them. Can this lead to problems?... I'm afraid that the two new beardies are getting stressed...

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just got two new beardies and my male which I have had for about 4 years is being very aggressive towards both of them... He hasn't stopped bobbing his head and trying to find a way to look at them. Can this lead to problems?... I'm afraid that the two new beardies are getting stressed...
Welcome to the forum.
Are they all housed in their own enclosures? If so you will need to set them up so the male can't see them. I have a male and a female and I had to move his tank into a different room so he would stop black bearding and destroying his tank trying to get to my female.
Yes this will lead to problems as it is a dominance issue as they are solitary creatures that only come together to mate.

Spike.Cloud.Bow

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum.
Are they all housed in their own enclosures? If so you will need to set them up so the male can't see them. I have a male and a female and I had to move his tank into a different room so he would stop black bearding and destroying his tank trying to get to my female.
Yes this will lead to problems as it is a dominance issue as they are solitary creatures that only come together to mate.

They all have their own tanks but they are stacked on a rack sort of thing. There is about 5in of space for me to pull them out. I covered up the wall so he couldn't look in the mirror. But it seems my beardie is smart, so he just pulls back the carpet and looks down at the male.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
They can smell each other and it will lead to stress. I recently just got a female and the day she arrived my male started the head bobbing and black bearding. It was awful. He was so stressed out. I could swear I saw a worm in his poop.

We've moved the tanks so they can't see each other but every time we go to him after we have been around her he can smell her on us. We do not use the same feeders or tongs or tweezers mostly for cross contamination as Wally has passed his vet check up and is fine. And we way our hands and use sanitizer between touching them.

I went and bought new everything even towels and blankets but I did mainly for the cross contamination. With her only being 27 days old its way too soon to take her to vet so until she is about 8-12 weeks old I have separate everything for them!

If yours are housed together you need to get them separated asap! These animals like to be alone. Unlike us they don't need or want a friend. It is not natural for them to be housed together. If those babies can see your older male you will be stressing them out as well. They won't understand that he can't get to them and they will constantly be in fear of their lives. Thinking he is coming to eat them. Which if he could get to them that's what he would do.

Spike.Cloud.Bow

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok thanks for the advice.I will probable move his tank into another room.
They can smell each other and it will lead to stress. I recently just got a female and the day she arrived my male started the head bobbing and black bearding. It was awful. He was so stressed out. I could swear I saw a worm in his poop.

We've moved the tanks so they can't see each other but every time we go to him after we have been around her he can smell her on us. We do not use the same feeders or tongs or tweezers mostly for cross contamination as Wally has passed his vet check up and is fine. And we way our hands and use sanitizer between touching them.

I went and bought new everything even towels and blankets but I did mainly for the cross contamination. With her only being 27 days old its way too soon to take her to vet so until she is about 8-12 weeks old I have separate everything for them!

If yours are housed together you need to get them separated asap! These animals like to be alone. Unlike us they don't need or want a friend. It is not natural for them to be housed together. If those babies can see your older male you will be stressing them out as well. They won't understand that he can't get to them and they will constantly be in fear of their lives. Thinking he is coming to eat them. Which if he could get to them that's what he would do.
Ok thanks for the advice. I will probable move his tank out of that room.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea everyone will be calmer when they can't see eachother I think that is a good thing as their eyesight is really good afar...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Put the more aggressive one in the bottom tank or the top tank. I have 3 beardies 2 females and a male. They are on a rack shelf and my oldest female was on the top and the male was in the middle and my other female was on the bottom. My male would get upset whenever he saw me take either of the females out because we had to go past his tank with them. Now with him on the bottom we don't have any problems.

Latest posts