• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strange Behavior

chesterthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi there

Recently my little guy has been running around his enclosure and jumping off logs into the glass and just being VERY active. He hit his nose on the glass and damaged the scale on the tip of his nose and wanted to make sure he will be okay or if i should get something to take care of his nose. I checked his temps and thought something was stressing him out but everything is fine and a lot of people are saying he just wants to come out (which he loves and his favorite part of the day). His appetite and behavior is still all very normal he is just running around the enclosure and hurt his nose. Let me know what you guys think.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi there

Recently my little guy has been running around his enclosure and jumping off logs into the glass and just being VERY active. He hit his nose on the glass and damaged the scale on the tip of his nose and wanted to make sure he will be okay or if i should get something to take care of his nose. I checked his temps and thought something was stressing him out but everything is fine and a lot of people are saying he just wants to come out (which he loves and his favorite part of the day). His appetite and behavior is still all very normal he is just running around the enclosure and hurt his nose. Let me know what you guys think.
How big is the tank? Then we are going to go over your temps in the tank and his uvb- those things I just asked about are the most important things in the tank how old is the dragon

chesterthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
How big is the tank? Then we are going to go over your temps in the tank and his uvb- those things I just asked about are the most important things in the tank how old is the dragon
I have a 75 gallon. His basking on the warm side is about 95 right now and the cool side is around 75-80 because i live in a warm area with no AC. I have a new UVB bulb i got about 2 weeks ago. He is a year old and eats fine and around 2-3 pm he starts to slow down. I take him out for 2 hours a day and let him run as well as sit in the window and he is very happy doing that.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a 75 gallon. His basking on the warm side is about 95 right now and the cool side is around 75-80 because i live in a warm area with no AC. I have a new UVB bulb i got about 2 weeks ago. He is a year old and eats fine and around 2-3 pm he starts to slow down. I take him out for 2 hours a day and let him run as well as sit in the window and he is very happy doing that.
Ok so hes in a good size tank and it could be he has gotten spoiled by the out time he gets --- so lets make sure that is what it is-- how are you getting those temps? If you using a stick on they are ambient temps - you want surface basking temps -- digital probe thermometer is the best way to get those --- your UVB is a coil or a long tube fixture? If its a long tube fixture you should be using a T 5 bulb - best on the market are Reptisun or Arcadia 12% bulb -- NO coils they are a health hazard!!! cool side temp around 80 is good for day --- night time temps should be 65-75 --- what kind of a basking bulb are you using? No daytime bulbs or colored bulbs please they need to be a clear solid bright white bulb like a Flukers Zoo Med Repti basking or a Exo Terra Intense bulb --

chesterthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so hes in a good size tank and it could be he has gotten spoiled by the out time he gets --- so lets make sure that is what it is-- how are you getting those temps? If you using a stick on they are ambient temps - you want surface basking temps -- digital probe thermometer is the best way to get those --- your UVB is a coil or a long tube fixture? If its a long tube fixture you should be using a T 5 bulb - best on the market are Reptisun or Arcadia 12% bulb -- NO coils they are a health hazard!!! cool side temp around 80 is good for day --- night time temps should be 65-75 --- what kind of a basking bulb are you using? No daytime bulbs or colored bulbs please they need to be a clear solid bright white bulb like a Flukers Zoo Med Repti basking or a Exo Terra Intense bulb --
I am using a digital probe thermometer like you said!I have a long tube UVB bulb that is a T 5 as well as a white bulb from Zoo Med for basking. I have done SO much research on temps and which bulbs to be using so I think I am using all the proper ones. I am just worried about him as well as his nose. He hit it pretty hard so the scale is somewhat gone on his nose but there is no blood and he doesn’t seem bothered. Thank you for all your help!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am using a digital probe thermometer like you said!I have a long tube UVB bulb that is a T 5 as well as a white bulb from Zoo Med for basking. I have done SO much research on temps and which bulbs to be using so I think I am using all the proper ones. I am just worried about him as well as his nose. He hit it pretty hard so the scale is somewhat gone on his nose but there is no blood and he doesn’t seem bothered. Thank you for all your help!
Ok your screen on the tank is it a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type the screen will block 30% if the fixture is on top - take some raw unpasteurized honey and dab it on his nose - if he licks it put more on - it will promote healing -- also do not leave any crickets in the tank they will go straight for his nose --
I will help you get it properly placed and distance for the UVB -- this is really important
post a pic of him and his nose

Latest posts