• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Still not pooping!

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Oh thank you Germ! Unfortunately I have to bring Baby back to the vet tomorrow because he is still refusing to eat anything or do any poops and the vet said if he didn't eat in 24 hours to bring him back. I am definitely going to try the method where you try to open his mouth from the side using your thumb, that seems so much more gentle than trying to force his jaw open! I am pretty upset that he is still not eating and I wish I knew what was going on, but maybe I should ask the vet to check for parasites etc....when I saw her yesterday, she did say that the stress of moving him into a bigger tank was probably the obvious cause of his stress which probably caused all this mess. I feel so badly, like it's my fault and I never should have moved him into a bigger tank yet:( I know it's not good to move their environments around constantly but the vet also told me to put him back in his smaller tank while he's not feeling good, and I asked her if that would stress him out even more putting him in a different tank again and she said no because they will remember it, plus it's smaller. I was very hesitant to do that, but I did because nothing else was working and I thought maybe being in his past similar environment, it would help. So, if he doesn't eat again in the morning, it's back to the vet tomorrow afternoon. Feeling very sad right now for my beardie. :( I just want him to be better....

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I hope he gets better and soon. I hope the vet can do something if he doesn't eat. :( Good luck.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
:) You're welcome. I was worried about yours and another who wasn't eating and pooping either. I'll keep my fingers cross for your little guy.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know it's not good to move their environments around constantly but the vet also told me to put him back in his smaller tank while he's not feeling good, and I asked her if that would stress him out even more putting him in a different tank again and she said no because they will remember it, plus it's smaller. I was very hesitant to do that, but I did because nothing else was working and I thought maybe being in his past similar environment, it would help. So, if he doesn't eat again in the morning, it's back to the vet tomorrow afternoon. Feeling very sad right now for my beardie. :( I just want him to be better....
I disagree with changing it's environment once again & then have to change it back again. While it is the more 'Obvious' culprit or issue to the Vet, it is one that it has to overcome sooner or later & it was a good part of the way there already, now you are starting over again. It is the only obvious stresser to the vet, because I highly doubt that you have told him that you are constantly obsessively doting on, fiddling, fussing with it, it's enclosure, baths, handling, hand held feeding, fawning over, etc. Which can be more stressful to it than any enclosure change. You have been cautioned on this several times.

It may have gotten to the point that now you may have to do something medically, but I feel that is the root of the problem, compounding the enclosure acclimation time. You are trying to be a good Mom, but too much, is just too much for it. This may sound harsh, but the point has just not been getting across ...

I wish you both Good Luck

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How's Baby? Sorry you're having a tough morning. :( Maybe he'll poop everything out today.

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
I understand how you feel; for a few months my Sunkiss was not doing well. I know it is hard, but try to leave your baby alone as much as possible and just make sure the temps are correct. I agree with Germain, don't switch tanks again. As a mom it is hard to not totally freak when our babies are not well, we are hard wired that way; be patient.
:)

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Baby is still not well..the vet didn't know what the heck was wrong with him....she was of no help. She de-wormed him she said and I tried to feed him again today and again he won't eat. She told me he could have a tumor but yet she didn't run any tests because she said he looked so good physically because I have been doing a good nursing job. In the meantime I can't stop crying because I love my baby so much and I think he is going to die soon if he doesn't start eating. It's breaking my heart to pieces and I just don't know what to do. I don't know what the next step should be...should I ask the vet to do an x-ray or what kind of test should she do?

Pat B

Super Moderator
If it were me this is what I would do....make sure my temps are correct in the enclosure....maybe the basking spot a few degrees higher. Make sure everyday beardie has food and greens. I would leave him totally alone as in not picking him up and handling him. I would every other day give him a long soaking warm bath and stroke his belly. Also....have your vet do an xray. You don't know what is inside if you don't look. Just because your vet says he looks healthy on the outside that doesn't mean something might be off on the inside. You are a good beardie owner and we all know how much you love your little guy. Good luck and keep us posted....

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you so much Pat, that is what I was thinking. They open at 8 today and I am going to call and ask them if they can give him an x-ray. There is obviously SOMETHING going on inside since he is still bloated but they cannot get any poop out. I am frustrated that they did not do that yesterday but I also should have asked but she seemed so confident that it was parasites that was the problem so I let it be.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
@Sunkiss....how long can beardies go without eating and pooping before they eventually die? My baby has not eaten anything in a week now and only got a little poop out of her when I took her to the vet monday...they couldn't get any out yesterday, but like I said to Pat I am going to call them today and ask them if they can do an x-ray.

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
I found a few answers you may want to try up to you though. One said canned pumpkin works as a laxative and also a warm wet towel massaged on the vent. Also drip some distilled water on the tip of his nose with a syringe. I know it requires more handling but that's just what i've found on the internet.

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
@Sunkiss....how long can beardies go without eating and pooping before they eventually die? My baby has not eaten anything in a week now and only got a little poop out of her when I took her to the vet monday...they couldn't get any out yesterday, but like I said to Pat I am going to call them today and ask them if they can do an x-ray.
Hi. I honestly don't know the answer to that question. I'm sorry. I feel for you and I hope they are able to get some answers for you at the vet.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks you guys! I have heard that canned pumpkin works as well, and I also heard that prunes works. Well, tomorrow I bring him back to the vet for an x-ray and another check up, so yet again I will keep you all updated on what happens as soon as I can! :)

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
I have a interesting update everyone! I brought the Baby back to the vet yesterday, and the outlook was grim. The baby had his eyes shut and was very weak and the vet told me to expect the worst. Well.....in the meantime she prescribed him some antibiotic and he has had 2 doses so far AND...he is better!!! He ate 5 crickets this morning and he did a GIANT POOP!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!! I came home after seeing my Mom and tried to feed him again but he wouldn't eat and his eyes were closed again so I got really worried but I gave him a bath and then he was very thirsty so he drank a TON of water and his eyes perked right up and he is closing his eyes a little bit but not the way he was before! I think this is a miracle if he is getting better because he was doing THAT badly!!!! It's a good sign he ate, its a good sign he did a big poop, and it's a good sign he drank a ton of water because before he didn't do any of that! HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::Doing a little dance:::D

Latest posts