• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Still isn't growing

GroomerMo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi again my new beardie drake isn't growing I've had him this coming up Sunday for four weeks now and he is still just about 6 1/2 inches I have his terrarium perfect from the temps to the size I have him in a 20 gallon long until he gets bigger and I already have his 40 gallon once he is ready. He eats one horn worm in the morning and some greens and I have a meal worms in there for him during the day when I'm at work. He won't eat crickets so I keep his worms different.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371736553218.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371736553218.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 34

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, Appetite is definitely going to affect his growth. I would personally never leave meal worms in his cage 24/7.

Thing to try:
1. Roaches. Some of my dragons will turn there head to crickets but will destroy roaches.
2. Make sure he is hydrated. 5 minute baths every other day right now will help keep this in check.
3. This option is only if you feel confident enough in doing this (It is challenging and will probably take another persons help). I watch in amazement, my wife can open the mouth with one hand and put the cricket in with the other.,. You may need to help this young one along by force feeding. There are just some that need a little help at first in life and will take off when they are ready. Some only need a week or two and some will need a month or two. Do this daily and if you can a couple times a day. Try to feed atleast a dozen appropriate sized crickets total (6 or so at each feeding). From the tip of the mouth ( i use a credit card or needless syringe) gently pry down to open the mouth. Once the mouth is open put in a cricket.

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
Silkworms are the best in protein and calcium. Like Gillie said, roaches. I have heard of dragons turning down crickets and devouring dubi roaches. Hydration is important as mentioned above. I would offer more live food of the same if he is eating it.