• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sticky eyes

Hev

Bearded Dragon Egg
HI I am new to the forum and am having a problem with my bearded dragons eyes. He is approx 3 years old and is suffering from sticky eyes, they are frequently stuck together. I Have taken him to the vet numerous times and have been given antibiotics, now on second type 3 times daily but these are still not working and his eyes are still gunked up. Any ideas anyone has will be welcomed. Can upload photo's if needed. Thanks in advance.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What did the vet say was the problem? What was the reason for the drops?

What kind of UVB light are you using? Coil bulbs have been known to still cause problems with their eyes. You can rinse the eyes with a sterile saline solution to clean them out. Make sure the product says sterile saline without any additives added.

Hev

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

The vet said the liquid coming from the eyes looks clear which is a good sign, but just looks like conjunctivitus.

He also said if this lot of anitbitotics don't clear it up then a swob would be needed to determine what exactly the liquid is, but I would like to avoid this as it is going to cost a lot of money.

My dragon used to have a coil light which I changed to a tube light a few months ago in am attempt to make him better, but nothing seems to be working and I am now at a loss as to what to do.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

The vet said the liquid coming from the eyes looks clear which is a good sign, but just looks like conjunctivitus.

He also said if this lot of anitbitotics don't clear it up then a swob would be needed to determine what exactly the liquid is, but I would like to avoid this as it is going to cost a lot of money.

My dragon used to have a coil light which I changed to a tube light a few months ago in am attempt to make him better, but nothing seems to be working and I am now at a loss as to what to do.
What kind of substrate are you using?? Could it be an irritant to something in his enclosure?

Hev

Bearded Dragon Egg
He used to have sand but we changed to a reptile carpet ages ago, at the moment he had nothing as I took everything but the bare essentials out to try make him better, really doesn't feel like there is much else I can try

Dinky-Blinky

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Blinkys eye is the same ( hers is caused by a bad shed) after a number of different drops and anti-biotics nothing seemed to work. So I now bath her eye with cool boiled water 3 times a day and put her in bath even over day as well as spray her head with water every day. Her eye is slowly getting better and is now open most days

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Dinky-Blinky

Bearded Dragon Veteran
This was blinkys eye
a11910b28f410f27863b95071155a0b8.jpg

Now it's like this most days
723bff8ff2fe046ba7885664a3a9c500.jpg

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Latest posts