• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Starving to change diet.

Dubya11

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
So i have went two days or so now, without giving T'zar my beardie any crickets. I've been providing a dish consisting of Dragon bites(little squares i bought at the pet store), Squash, red pepper, Blueberries, dehydrated meal worms, peas. I never load up the bowl full of these things but i place a small handful in her tank 3 times a day about...i even will drop them in front of her to get her attention(she will think its a bug and be tempted to eat it then she realizes its healthy). But i don't really know will a bearded dragons instincts kick it and will she eat before she starves to a dangerous level or am i going to have to just give in to her attitude and give her crickets. I'm trying to get her off the Crickets because i'm having a baby at some point this month and i don't want a cricket habitat going on at home. I'm already so far i don't want to resort back to the bugs..

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
live insects are better for the dragon than dragon bites any day and if not crickets, try super worms. the are super easy to keep and they don't get out. depriving them of their natural food is not in the best interest of the dragon in my opinion. besides, babies love bugs:eek:

Dubya11

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
well i mean she was eating 50 crickets a day or so. I think in the wild they have a nice balanced diet they probably don't eat just bugs or just fruit and veggies.. their is probably a happy medium but the thing is she will not touch any kind of plant matter..if its not crickets she don't want it. So i'm trying to cut them out of her diet since thats all that she will eat.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
some dragons won't eat fruits and veggies and if crickets is all she wants then completely taking them out of her diet would concern me. there are things to try to get her to eat veggies but they need the insects also.

Dubya11

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
side note. she uses the bathroom every other day. So on her bathroom days i take her into the bath tub and she sits in the tub until she goes but she never ever will drink the water. i haven't seen her drink a drop of water since...shoot probably 4 months ago. i spray her at least once a day but she never laps up the water i spray and she doesn't drink out of her bath water..

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
sorry to be a pain but mealworms are a bearded dragon no no as they are hard to digest which is why i suggested super worms.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
mealworms are only about an inch long and as big as a pencil lead. super worms are about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long and about as big around as a straw. yes they do look similar but big difference in size and how you keep. ive gotten them at petsmart but only as a do me till. they are much cheaper online. a box of 500 will last one adult dragon a month or more if you keep them properly ( super easy )

Mountain Bearded Dragons

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Keep trying diferent veggies and fruit (beautifuldragons.com) is a great place to go and reasearch new foods because i do and it helps me what to make a salad out of healthy foods so she will eat them all. Also dont take her natural food away it better than just a pellet diet. So give her what she eats and try the website it will help.

Latest posts