• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

started on Sary's new home =]

Und3adPrinc3ss

Bearded Dragon Egg
we finally started on my beardies new home! its basically halfway done at this point. will be posting pictures of what is finished soon =] and boy it is huge! the enclosure is built on top of a self made shelf area. the inside will have two levels with a ramp on each side[upper level will be for basking]. can't wait for it to be finished!

Kodieh

Hatchling Dragon
Can I ask what you're doing for traction on the ramps?

Browsing on Tapatalk from my iPhone :)

Und3adPrinc3ss

Bearded Dragon Egg
its a board made from recycled material. its mainly used for decks and its made to look like wood. its has a rough surface almost like a smoother version of sandpaper to the touch. tryiing to get my computer to cooperate to get the pictures i took but its stubborn. was going to post the other night but my horse is due to have her baby and found out the other horse that was bred to the same stallion had complications and the baby died within 36 hours so have been very busy taking care of momma.

Und3adPrinc3ss

Bearded Dragon Egg
here are a couple pictures i just took with my camera. its currently in two pieces to put the glass on. one is the shelf it will sit on. the other is the cage itself sittin on saw horses until i can get the other pictures to load. the whole thing is about 300 to build. mainly because of the plexi glass and board made from recycled material.
DSC_0211.JPG
DSC_0207.JPG

Reactions: NLC

Und3adPrinc3ss

Bearded Dragon Egg
cage2.jpg
cage3.jpg
cage4.jpg
cage1.jpg
cage5.jpg

computer is cooperating! i painted the inside. before anyone starts criticizing[cause i know ya'll do] i did research on what was safe and went everywhere around here to find it. and it has been drying for about two days now even though it dried about an hour after i painted it in this heat. all we have left to get is the light fixtures and light, get it in my room, put the substrate in, put a few decorative plants and water bowl and food bowl in and it's ready for sary =D

Kodieh

Hatchling Dragon
Looking good so far! I know the board your describing, I might end up doing something similar with that same board type; thanks for the tip! :)

Browsing on Tapatalk from my iPhone :)

Pat B

Super Moderator
Absolutely love the shelves and ramps. The board is very nice and I like how you stepped it. I have a glass enclosure and wish I had wood. I think you can do more with wood as far as attaching things to the side and making shelves. :cool:

Und3adPrinc3ss

Bearded Dragon Egg
Plexiglass front and double doors were just put on. I went to a new pet store the other day for decorative plants but they were out so a trip to baton rouge is in planning. You could probably do more adding ramps and steps if you wanted. Quick question. We are trying to figure out lighting. Im going to be using fluorescent tubes but don't know what size I would need to properly heat the enclosure. There is going to be two small vent holes on each side for fresh air along with a screen top. It's 46 inches long, 22 high. don't have the depth off hand. Over a foot I know. We aren't sure if a 46" would be too much. So we were thinking about putting possibly a 30" or 36". Imthinking 36" would be about right, but can't find anything online to help me. I haven't quite went venturing around the forum yet for answers. Wanted to post this before I start searching in case I get an answer faster here. There will be a heat light for night or during the day in case it is needed.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Fluorescent bulbs won't heat the enclosure, they put off very little heat. As far as UVB goes, it really only has to cover the basking spot, as very little effective UVB ever reaches the floor anyway. You will need an incandescent or halogen type bulb for heat. Any white light emitting bulb of sufficient wattage to give you the desired temps of 95-105F for adults & in the vicinity of 110F directly at the basking spot for less than adults with a heat gradient to 80-85F at the floor area of the cool side furthest from the heat bulb.

Und3adPrinc3ss

Bearded Dragon Egg
oh. i thought they gave off a little heat. havent dealt with fluorescents. i have two lights on each side. one "night" heat light and one daytime light. i have 3 thermometers in there currently. i would like to have at least two more but they only had three when i went to the store. i have three of the lights in now[one of them is in use for sary's current "place of residence" i'll call it] to see what the temps will get to. i ordered an 18" fluorescent light fixture to place inside for uvb. i've placed Sary inside her new home a few times to get her somewhat familiar with it. all that is left is to put the backing on the shelf part and staple the wires onto the back so they stay put. also the day and night lights are on a separate switch so if its too hot or too cold i can add/reduce the amount of heat. still wondering if i should put her water bowl in or just leave it out to keep her from making a mess. leaning towards leaving it out and putting the very small one in just so she has the option of water. i also ordered two plant decorations to put in so it isnt so plain and boring. putting pics up soon.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hate to say this, but before you buy any more of those thermometers, don't. They are absolutely useless in this application. They will give you the temp of the wall which. just like a glass enclosure is affected by the outside ambient temps as the inside & do not give even close accurate measurements of the environment inside the enclosure. Your BD is never going to spend any amount of time on the walls, so why take the temps there? Digital thermometers or an infrared (Temp Gun) are what you need to take the temps in the proper places, which are directly at the Basking spot (Closest spot the BD has access to the heat Bulb which should be the hottest accessible spot in the enclosure) & the Coolest area. Basking spot in the vicinity of 110F for juveniles, 95-105F for adults, most adults like it around the 100F mark. The coolest area in the enclosure should be in the 80-85F range for all ages of BDs.

I also see 2 serious problems with the mounting of the light fixtures & bulbs, which are very poorly thought out. I am almost sure that the heat from those bulbs are going to burn the paint, as they are dangerously close to the back posing a fume & fire hazard & really hope that is a metal screen top. Your BD will have much too close access to unprotected bulbs, posing high burn risk. You will have a very difficult time getting the proper basking temps with fixed bulbs & basking spots, if possible at all. With Horizontally mounted bulbs, with no reflectors, over half of the radiated heat will rise & is lost.

Night lights of any color will bother most BDs sleep, yes even those 'Black' bulbs. Night heat is is not needed or wanted, unless your ambient room temps drop below the mid to low 60s F. BDs should be allowed to cool off at night, slows their metabolism down for a good nights sleep. Should your night ambient room temps drop below the mid to low 60s F & night heat is absolutely necessary, a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) is recommended, heat with no light emitted, just enough to take the edge off, so a dimmer or thermostat is also recommended if night heat is to be used.

What are the dimensions of the enclosure, it looks very nice & big
icon_thumright-1.gif
. As for the water bowl, if she drinks from it, put it in, if not, leave it out.

You have to rethink your lighting setup & get some proper thermometers ...

Pat B

Super Moderator
My brother gave me my beardie and I didn't know a dang thing about lighting, bulbs, UVB etc etc etc so I trusted what he gave me....one light and it was hanging too low into his enclosure....thus he burnt his tail....and now it is a stub. Please rethink your lighting....Germ is so right in the proper placing of your lights.
I do like your setup with all the shelves etc. It will look nice when it is finished.

Und3adPrinc3ss

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's been about a month now and I have had absolutely no problems with lighting or temperature. The paint I used produces no fumes. I bought and used that type of paint for a reason. She cannot reach the light in any way and has no way to burn herself. The lights in the picture look closer than they actually are. The temperature is perfect. my UVB light came in a few weeks ago. Sary is doing well and is very happy in her new home. Have to get something to make the ramp easier to climb(she tends to slide a little bit on it) I put sand on it and she can climb it now but still slides if she sits in one spot too long

Latest posts