• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Something odd with my baby beardie's rump

maifly

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I am very new to owning a bearded dragon and my baby bearded dragon has something very strange going on with his bottom. Im a little worried and couldn't find anything googling. He poops and eats and drinks, I soaked him for 15 minutes to see if it was just poop stuck to him but upon closer examination it was actually his skin. I don't know if I should be worried or not but here's some pictures
image.jpeg
image.jpg
Any help is appreciated thank you!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum!!
I've not seen anything like that :( I would say if soaks are not helping I would set up a visit with a reptile vet to get it checked out so it doesn't lead to infection...

maifly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum!!
I've not seen anything like that :( I would say if soaks are not helping I would set up a visit with a reptile vet to get it checked out so it doesn't lead to infection...

Oh thank you very much! I've been so worried, it's very weird I couldn't find anything like it :( i didn't expect a vet visit so soon

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know you never expect to have to go soo soon..make sure you ask what you can do in the meantime if you can't get in soon...I know some do an iodine solution mix to clean things.. but make sure you ask

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You need to get him to a vet ASAP. In the meantime do daily soaks 100 degree water. Take whatever substate you have out and put down plain white paper towel and change it daily. Just as a precaution if you have other reptiles keep them away from this little guy, don't share food between them or decor and wash your hands before and after handling him.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I didn't mean to freak you out with my post. It just looks bad :( Hopefully it's just stuck poop and shed but it's better to take precautions just in case it's something else.

maifly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh no you've helped so much :) I just don't think I could handle heartbreak already if something bad does happen :(

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Understandable and I would be freaked out too.. I'm with Patsy hopefully it's just a combo of poop/shed maybe he's got something still hanging on inside that he can't clear making it stick to him still.. Not sure but always better to get it checked for him and for your peace of mind.. catching things early on is always best for these little ones as they are in such an active growing phase..
please keep us posted

maifly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Alright I will! Thanks so much for your help! Also, sadly I didn't do my research and I bought a kit with apparently crappy lights, could that also be a factor? And it came with alfalfa for litter, should I change that to newspaper or reptile carpet? I'm quite a noob when it comes to all this

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Alright I will! Thanks so much for your help! Also, sadly I didn't do my research and I bought a kit with apparently crappy lights, could that also be a factor? And it came with alfalfa for litter, should I change that to newspaper or reptile carpet? I'm quite a noob when it comes to all this
Yes lighting is very important.. My suggestion is Patsy and I did a detailed thread and you can find it at the bottom of our signature lines it's a link for general care we went over everything... Yea the alfalfa could be a big part of what's going on as that's not a substrate for them it expands inside of them when they eat it, taking the needed moisture from them just to expand it. he could be somewhat impacted from it... Just use paper towels, repti carpet, ceramic tiles, contact paper nothing that can be eaten...

maifly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Alright thank you! I had a feeling the petstore had no idea what they were talking about... but again thanks for all the help! I'll keep you all updated :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Alright thank you! I had a feeling the petstore had no idea what they were talking about... but again thanks for all the help! I'll keep you all updated :)
Yea not to sound snotty but very few pet store people really know what's best for them.. They get told what corp want's them to use and that's what they do, it may not be the best for most reptiles they use it for. I've always been a fan of getting into forums such as this one to see what actual owners use and why.. Don't get me wrong there are some great people in the stores that are great advocates for the reptiles...just wish there were more.
The common one is sand for desert critters...We need to remember in nature they have survival instincts and means to do what they do, but most don't live long..But we are not keeping them out in nature but in our homes so we have to adapt giving them safe yet as natural as we can...

Keep us posted and we are more than willing to help out in whatever way we can

maifly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Of course :) and no you're right... Everything they told me I've been told was bad. They have him on a strict diet of mealworms, I heard that eating those too much could give him problems. Told me to put on a night light, the entire kit they had me buy was 280 dollars, huuuge waste of money the lights didn't even last two days. I'm so glad I've found a forum with nice people willing to help :) I also made the mistake of buying from a petstore... I went to one and one lizards eyes were gone and another had a broken leg so I left very quick. I went to another store that I've gotten good reptiles from in the past and he looked really good... I just didn't bother to look under him I would've never guessed. Sigh he's a really good lizard though so I am very determined to nurse him back right. I'll have to check out your guys post like you said, you've all been a huge help!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Not all pet store lizards are bad. I bought Dexter from Petsmart and Luci from Petco, both have always been real healthy.

maifly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah I got mine from Petco, I guess I just got unlucky :( he's going to vet tomorrow so we'll see what they say!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
And you are correct Patsy not all are bad didn't want it to sound that way. Izzy came from Petco and she's good.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah I got mine from Petco, I guess I just got unlucky :( he's going to vet tomorrow so we'll see what they say!
I'm glad they are getting him in soo soon that's great news.. Please do keep us posted on what they say. We all learn from eachothers experiences..

maifly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yep! I'm very grateful for the help and concerns :) just all the ones I've gone to the conditions were awful, I guess I need to be more careful but I'm in love with my beardie already! I called petco they said all they could do was return him and I knew what would happen to him, but I wouldn't ever do that! So looks like vet visits already, and ive had him for less than three days!

Latest posts