• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Some advice needed

bane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
First I would like t say hello to everyone my name is stewart and I have found this forum great for some advice but still need more. My bearded dragon is about 5 years old and I have had her for about 3 days. She lives in the below area and it is 4x2x2 any advice is more than welcome (and needed)

1 How oftern should I bath my bearded dragon
2 what should the ubv bulb out put be my bulb is 12% dont know if this is any good or not

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Stewart, welcome!!
I've only had my beardie "Yoda" for 2 months. He's between 6-7 months old but l believe the info would be the same no matter what age.

I bath Yoda at least 3 times a week to keep him hydrated. It isn't very often that they drink from a dish of water. I also mist him everyday, and he will lick water from my fingers.
I use a 10.0 uv tube. Does she stay hidden most of the time? Quite often if it's not warm enough OR if they are brumating they hide. What are the temps in the enclosure? Also what substrate are you using? How is she feeding?

Sorry for the questions. I guess it's rude to answer a question with a question :)

bane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
no its fine I need all the help I can get as the shop we got her from gave me no care sheet on the basking side the temp ranges from 90 to 80 on the cooler side of the tank she does hide and our house is quite cold I have just bought a night spot lamp and will fit it later on as the tem went down to about 60 the other night on the floor of the enclosure there is a mix of half sand and half bark if thats what you meenby substrate? she was feeding fine but has not eaten in 2 days now (including today) she ate 5 locus first day then 3 the second none yesterday and none so far today

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Any lighting at night will keep you beardie awake. If you need to heat it you can use either CHE (Ceramic Het Emitter) or i use a OZ purple night globe. There is no light, only heat.
Also with food are you offering anything other than locust? An adult beardie needs a diet of about 80% greens - including fruits veg and plant matter and 20% protein from live critters - Superworms, crickets, woodies. Here is a link to what l call my "food bible". It's got some great info
http://carolinadesignerdragons.com/common/docs/food_list.pdf

bane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for all the information and yes I put lots of difrent greens in for her apples peeled cabage strawberry kale cucumber peeled and yes I dust it but she has not eaten any greens as of yet exept a bit of apple she is up on a wooden top not on the floor I have bought a night heater no light as for google thats how I found this brill site and all you knowledgable girls and guys

bane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
no panice she has not touched it is kale ok? bell pepers mellon?

bane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
lol already downloaded and printed she just ate some apple and strawberry I know its not a daily food but its something

bane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
she just ate a locust and she is alot more active I am going to buy some silk worms now I thing the temprature was affecting her the temp is now 110 on the basking side and 80 on the other side replaced 60 bulb to a 100 and now seems alot more active could also be that she had a bath to thanks alot for the advice all

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello and welcome to the Forum ....I would change your substrate to a tile Sand and wood chips get eaten and can lead to some bad things also go very lite on the fruits..at your dragons age 1 time a week soak is all it needs don't mist especially with the substrate you have it can cause some problems. How cold does it get in your house at night you should not need a night light. What brand of UVB do you have and do you have calcium powder and vitamin powder.

bane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
what do you mean by tile sand? the other base is what the shop gave us when we had her? we have calcium powder but did not mention anything about vitimin powder what type is best? the bulb is prorep 12% not sure on if that is the uvb or not? as set up by shop am wishing that I did my self now. My house is quite cold it must get down to the 60 in the tank on the cooler side of the tank?

Oh and thanks any advice is more than welcome

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ceramic tile and the UVB Is very important

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
just wanted to take a step back and talk about the water and hydration! I have a small waterfall in the corner of Sampson's enclosure. He loves it. Because the water is moving, he does go to it to drink and he seems to like the water moving on his belly rather than the "pool" that he also has full access to.
DSC_0017 (Small).JPG

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
just wanted to take a step back and talk about the water and hydration! I have a small waterfall in the corner of Sampson's enclosure. He loves it. Because the water is moving, he does go to it to drink and he seems to like the water moving on his belly rather than the "pool" that he also has full access to.View attachment 569
If you use a water fall it has to be cleaned daily they harbor bacteria and can also raise your humidity

bane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I am uk based, She does not drink from the still water so I may put a water fall in there do you have a picture of yours to give me some idea's please? And I will bear in mind that it will require changing.

Alot to think of this When she was in the shop she was just on a wood chip beading or something? but after I bought her she went onto Half sand and half what they had in theres I dont think its acualy wood its like a replacment. She seemed to love that and started digging and making a sleeping area which she loves she does sleep from around 5 ish to about 7ish the next day but since I chnged the bulb to a 100 the temp is now about 110 on the baqsking side and she seems to be moving arround alot more

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hiya Bane, I'm also uk based and I use an Arcadia 12% uvb in all 4 of my vivs and my dragons are good with that. It a couple of £s dearer than the 10% but also lasts longer as the 10% needs to be changed every 6 months, but the 12% is 10-11 months inbetween changing them.
Your girl may not be eating properly yet as she will still be settling in as they can take a wee while to adjust to change.
I bath mine daily as they love their bath & that also where they poop. I also use the bags of greens you can get from asda/tesco etc, but nothing with iceberg, cabbage or spinach in it. They also like banana, strawberry, blueberry, raspberries etc as a wee treat usually get one or other of them once a week.
I use Nutrobal Multivit once a week and Exoterra Calcium 4/5 times a week.
Hope this helps you a bit.

bane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
She is in a 4ft tank and I may just buy a new bulb to be on the safe side thanks for all the advice will keep you all informed.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I am uk based, She does not drink from the still water so I may put a water fall in there do you have a picture of yours to give me some idea's please? And I will bear in mind that it will require changing.
Yep, I posted a pic of him On the water fall! I think it's near the bottom of pg.1 of this thread

Latest posts