• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

So angry!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm so tired of my local pet store selling me defective things.

Let me tell you what happened: They've started ordering reptile lighting and bulbs that may be a defective product. I had two CHE's break by ceramic heat part (In the screw part) broke off into pieces. I returned those to the pet store and told them I wanted an infrared light for night time use because we use room air conditioners all the time in my house. (Our house gets very humid without those so I've been trying to keep my house at 70 degrees.) They argued with me until they finally gave me a credit and a 100 watt infrared bulb to use to heat the tank at night and sometimes in the early morning hours to gradually heat up the tank.

Well, today, everything was going great. The infrared light went off while I got Allie's bed out of her tank. When I put it on, everything was fine until I got to the bottom step and 'pop' and smoke came pouring from the infrared light and I had Allie in her tank at the time. I ran back upstairs, turned off the fixture, and unplugged it from the power strip I've got it in. I put it aside and examined Allie for anything. I checked her eyes and everything looked all right. Acting like she usually does, unless you count for the crazy little glass dance she does. :) But I'm so peeved because the infrared light exploded and could have caused a fire. I'm so glad I didn't take Allie outside this morning. I'm so glad I wasn't gone from the house. Who knew what would've happened when I was outside with Allie. All my dogs, bird, gerbil, and my mother was in the house- I consider Allie lucky. I'm going to take it back. I'll get another credit and buy her a couple of plants that she wanted to climb on instead. Then I'll order a CHE off petmountain.com.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you keep your house in the vicinity of 70F, why do you need night heat in the first place? Glad that every one is safe & that you were home to catch the problem in time. Could have been a serious situation.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you keep your house in the vicinity of 70F, why do you need night heat in the first place? Glad that every one is safe & that you were home to catch the problem in time. Could have been a serious situation.

Good question: I guess I was worried about her getting sick again if she didn't have enough heat to stay healthy.

Pat B

Super Moderator
oh my goodness....your Allie couldn't have a better beardie mother!! :D Pet stores are horrendous for selling things you don't need and their prices are ridiculous. The only thing I buy there are crix and mealies. I order everything else off the internet!! Glad that everything worked out for you and no one was harmed!! :cool:

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Funny thing is: They overprice their store items and they didn't start getting reptile items and cricket feed until they realized people had bearded dragons as well. The only thing is they have small crickets for small baby beardies and this time I couldn't go to my usual place to buy Allie's crickets because the car's giving us problems. (Car's about 10 years old now, with over 100,000 miles on it. Replaced almost all the coil packs and need a new sensor.) Anyway, no matter how times I bring Allie in to show them she's not a baby, they don't get the message they need to buy bigger crickets and better products. Yes, I'm going to buy online from here on out. I bought Allie's UVB off of Petmountain.com and a halogen flood heat lamp from Walmart. I'm tired of spending money here and there only to have the products I buy blow out or explode. I wrote to the company that makes the bulbs to let them know that they endangered my dragon and us. I mean, if we weren't home, our house would've caught on fire.
Even my usual pet store I go to jipped me out of crickets and superworms this month. Usually I get at least 144 crickets to last me the whole month. This time, I ran out of them and had only 12 instead of 24 superworms. 12's okay because I feed her supers once a day or every other day. I'm going to see what my usual pet store says about not having enough crickets and superworms.

Pat B

Super Moderator
You go girl!! Don't let those pet stores take advantage of you or your pocketbook!! How do you keep your crix alive for a whole month? I buy about 30 every 3 days or so....:rolleyes:

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A guy who works at Petland told me a secret way of keeping crickets longer. He told me to add rabbit food pellets to the bottom of the cricket tank to cut down on the moisture and humidity out of the tank. A few deaths and a lot of shedding. I cover the rabbit food pellets with a paper towel to catch their messes and dead. I feed fresh greens twice a day with a small spritz of water on the greens in a cat twin bowl. Sometimes I'll add a cucumber for water or a potato. I quit giving them that cricket quencher because there were more deaths than necessary.

Latest posts