• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Snow Tiger???

diredragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
While looking up genetics and possible combinations, I came across someone who claimed to have developed a Snow Tiger beardie.
As much as I think such a breed would be beautiful to have... I find myself questioning if it is even possible.
The snow trait is recessive isn't it? And also means that the beardie would be patternless. Tiger is dominant and, as I have seen, come in bright color varieties like Citrus and Flaming but never Snow or Leucistic.
So I'm just curious, is this combination in any way realistic?

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello Again,
Im gonna rev Brian up this morning..lol
The Tiger stripe gene or morph as its been called is simple an animal with very pronounced sidebars. Someone just named it.
Pooper genetics are spread so thin its hard to say one way or the other whats solid out there and whats a lucky fluke.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If I remember correctly, back in 05ish someone in Korea ( I think) came up with that fluke totally by accident. He sold off his breeders and stock with in a year of that hatching, to go to school... Most were sold here in the Americas.
Janie

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
though i can not tell you on the snow color morph as i do not have any dealings with them. But I do not see why you could not have a snow tiger stripe as the snow is not a leuci or a hypo its a actual color morph. It would be simple to introduce a tiger pattern into a snow bloodline. Then pick the few that came out as white tiger stripes rebreed the line a few times until you produce them reutinely then you have that morph.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
*sits back and smiles*

Spend some time reading about amelanistic genes. you'll find they're lacking the traits needed to pronounce certian definitions within color pigmentation. It is melanistic traits that make those side bars pronounced in other morphs. therefore, your amelanistic dna is non existant. It can only be one or the other.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
so it wouldnt be possible to have a snow dragon with very pale blue side bars (looking similar to that of the tiger strip patter?)

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you would require melanistic genes. taking away the amelanistic trait. which one do you choose? those genes aren't specific about where they land.......it's all or none

diredragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
There! *points spazztically to ladyknite's post*
That's what I meant! Melanistic! I couldn't think of the right words so I figured dominant would work :p
Gimmie a break, my brain was so fried yesterday. Tiger stripes require brown pigment traits that's why the whole Snow thing confused me

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Going back to the original stripes idea, "tiger stripes" as a morph, name or whatever you want to call it is naturally occurring in bearded dragons. It is part of their natural pigmentation to break up their pattern on the ground, trees or whatever the habitat maybe from predators. Just like any other naturally occurring striped, spotted, occelated or reticulated pattern on any animal (mammal, fish, reptile, amphibians, birds and insects, it is repeated across the board).

Now the "tiger stripe" morph (as Tom pointed out) is just a "catch phrase" by a seller for pronounced sidebar patterns on a specimen. It is possible, as i have seen this on several Nth Qld locality specimens to have a predominantly white/light grey dragon with very dark grey/lavender sidebars (it's naturally occurring here) though rare. One particular specimen that i knew of in a private collection was so pure white it looked like it had been painted the only dark pigmentation on it where on the nails, sidebars and the banding on the tail. All the tubercles where white as well, not clear but actually a dusty white.

As far as the genetics side of it is concerned I am of not much help I'm afraid as i don't breed (that's why we have Gina, Brian and Tom for).

It starts to get really confusing when more and more new "names" come up for a new colour, pattern or whatever lol.

Latest posts