• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Smelly beardie/viv

Vauno

Hatchling Dragon
Hi

Need some advice does anyones beardie/viv get smelly?

Mine viv does, and I can remove clean things and within 20 mins it's smelly again, could it be my beardie???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NaTasha Brinkley

Juvenile Dragon
Hrmm... maybe. Idk. My viv doesn't smell. what are you using for substrate? Sand might hold in smells more. I use the repti carpet and remove it, shake it out every few days b/c the supplement powder gets everywhere. And even though you can't see it while in the viv, a lot of cricket poop comes off when you shake it out. You could remove EVERYTHING and sanitize it all. They have the reptile sanitizer that they sell at pet stores. Just spray that all over the items you put in you tank let sit for 5 mins and then rinse of. Allow to dry completely. Spray the tank it's self, too and wipe dry with a paper towel. Hope this helps a bit.

Vauno

Hatchling Dragon
Hey thanks

Yer I got sand do u think it would be better to take the sand out?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds strange that it would smell good, then 20 minutes later, not. I have always used Sand as a substrate for my adults & with & with frequent regular waste clean up & tank maintenance I have never had issues. And I have had 4+ BDs in an 8'x10' room with 400 lbs of sand. I'd be leaning more towards the smell coming from your feeder bin, crix are smelly little beggers, or there is a hiding spot in the enclosure for them & there are dead ones.

Vauno

Hatchling Dragon
Hey germ

Yer that's what I thought but nothing in the cage of crix wise,

I'll have to move my feeder box and see if it goes, hopefully will be that, as the viv is in the living room and don't want people thinking it smells when come in

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hey germ

Yer that's what I thought but nothing in the cage of crix wise,

I'll have to move my feeder box and see if it goes, hopefully will be that, as the viv is in the living room and don't want people thinking it smells when come in

It's also nice to change out the sand every once in a while. Sand will get smelly if it's old and has had waste mixed in it, there is plenty of liquid in a healthy bd's poo.

Latest posts