• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

small traces of blood in stool

ThornyKelley

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone, my family recently got a baby bearded dragon. Recently he stopped eating and had diarrhea; my husband took him to the vet and they said it was either parasites or worms, they gave him 3 shots and an antibiotic we give him once a day. He went to the vet Thursday October 15th and it is now Tuesday October 20th. His diarrhea stopped the next day Friday the 16th and has had normal stools since, I woke up this morning and there what looked to be normal stool with small traces of blood. We are still feeding him by syringe and he still sleeps most of the day not all day but a lot of the day. After a bearded dragon is treated for parasites what is there recovery time where they are back to themselves and has an interest in food? I am going to monitor is stool for the rest of the day. Also does anyone think this could have been anything else besides parasites or worms?
thorn.jpg

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hey everyone, my family recently got a baby bearded dragon. Recently he stopped eating and had diarrhea; my husband took him to the vet and they said it was either parasites or worms, they gave him 3 shots and an antibiotic we give him once a day. He went to the vet Thursday October 15th and it is now Tuesday October 20th. His diarrhea stopped the next day Friday the 16th and has had normal stools since, I woke up this morning and there what looked to be normal stool with small traces of blood. We are still feeding him by syringe and he still sleeps most of the day not all day but a lot of the day. After a bearded dragon is treated for parasites what is there recovery time where they are back to themselves and has an interest in food? I am going to monitor is stool for the rest of the day. Also does anyone think this could have been anything else besides parasites or worms?View attachment 24049
Yikes, sorry to hear you lil fella isn't feeling well. My guy recently went through a bout of parasites (he's a young juvenile) and it took him about 4-5 days to get completely back to normal. He didn't receive any shots, but I did get sent home with a oral medication. On about day 3 his appetite pick back up, he was more alert and active, and his poos started looking more normal. On the fourth day he seemed back to his normal self. About day 5 his poos looked normal and didn't have much of the ordor they had been having. I believe I had to continue giving him his medicine for 10 days, though he seemed fine after a week. I never saw any blood in Dex's stool. That's concerning. Hoping experts can chime with suggestions and/or recommendations about the blood in his stool.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Please do keep monitoring the stool for another day or two. Bloody poos are often associated with parasites, impaction (from straining too hard too poop) or internal bleeding. Your lizard's bloody poop is probably from the parasites, see if it goes away after another few doses of medicine.
Hope he feels better soon!

Latest posts