• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sleepy Beardie

Pram

Hatchling Dragon
Hello- I am a new beardie owner. My guys is about 3 months old (best guess) he’s doing something I haven’t seen before. He is super sleepy, like he’s pretty much been in and out of sleep all day. He doesn’t want to eat and is a little grayer than normal. Could this be a sign of shedding?

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Most likely it is the start of brumation. Usually they will start being sort of sluggish and won't eat or drink as much as they used to. Brumation is kind of like semi-hibernation, Most of the time they'll sleep the day away. And he is probably starting to shed.

Pram

Hatchling Dragon
Most likely it is the start of brumation. Usually they will start being sort of sluggish and won't eat or drink as much as they used to. Brumation is kind of like semi-hibernation, Most of the time they'll sleep the day away. And he is probably starting to shed.

ok thanks! I actually didn’t know what brumation was. That could be it.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello, for once I actually disagree with @BeardedDragonDude , 3 months old is very young for a bearded dragon to start brumation. Are you sure it isn't a problem with the husbandry? Could you show a photo of your bearded dragon and a photo of the enclosure?
Hey, @Silver dragons . Sorry, I did not realize that she said 3 months of age. My mistake. I glanced over the thread and didn't spend a ton of time reading it. I just saw the title and put in my reply since a lot of people are going through brumation right now. @Pram , I agree with @Silver dragons on what he said. A image of the bearded dragon and enclosure would be helpful.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I noticed my baby turned a lighter color with a kinda grayish hue just before he shed. He was also less active and his appetite went down about a day before I saw the flaky bits show up. He acted about the same way throughout his shed and didn't start acting normal again until after he was done. Could he be getting ready to shed?

Pram

Hatchling Dragon
yes after doing some research brumations doesn’t seem likely. I’ll send a pic

he won’t eat at all. He’s not looking for cooler temps and he’s looking gray. He’s normally bright.Could something be wrong?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 129

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello, just from looking at him I would try to get a vet appointment as soon as possible as he doesn't look to be in the best condition. Also there's a couple things wrong with the husbandry, there is no UVB tube light. I would highly suggest a T5 reptisun tube light. The thermometer and humidity gauges I would also change as the ones you have are not very good. I would change it to one like this

Pram

Hatchling Dragon
Hello, just from looking at him I would try to get a vet appointment as soon as possible as he doesn't look to be in the best condition. Also there's a couple things wrong with the husbandry, there is no UVB tube light. I would highly suggest a T5 reptisun tube light. The thermometer and humidity gauges I would also change as the ones you have are not very good. I would change it to one like this

ok thanks- would the tube light replace what I have now? Just out the thermometer in my shopping cart thank you! Where in the tank is the best place for a thermometer?

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The UVB bulb will not replace the basking bulb that you have currently. You should have two bulbs your basking bulb and your UVB bulb. I would put the temperature gauge on the Basking spot.

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
And as I said earlier your bearded dragon does not seem to be a very good condition. I would try feeding chicken baby food and squash. That should hopefully help him regain some strength till the vet can check him out and give further instructions.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
he won’t eat at all. He’s not looking for cooler temps and he’s looking gray. He’s normally bright.Could something be wrong?
Poor baby. He doesn't look good. Hopefully the addition of the UVB and getting his temps right will help as suggested. Also, recommend the baby food that @Silver dragons mentioned. My baby is stubborn about his salad so I feed him veges (watered down) via a dropper to make sure he's getting his daily quota. I add a pinch of his calcium and vitamins to each dose, too. My baby laps it right up and moves away from the dropper when he's full. Hope the vet can help perk him up. Crossing fingers.

Good news @Silver dragons! Dex is starting to eat bits of his salad. Yay! Not a lot, but a bit or two each day.

Pram

Hatchling Dragon
I have an appointment this evening with the vet. I didn't see the baby food tip until now and I am at work :( Hopefully he hangs in there, he has gone a couple of days without eating. I appreciate all the advice. I will let you guys know what the vet says!

Pram

Hatchling Dragon
And as I said earlier your bearded dragon does not seem to be a very good condition. I would try feeding chicken baby food and squash. That should hopefully help him regain some strength till the vet can check him out and give further instructions.
1597065389097.png
1597065389097.png would this work? I am going to order groceries and have it sent to my house and have my son try and give him some. The options online are limited however.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have an appointment this evening with the vet. I didn't see the baby food tip until now and I am at work :( Hopefully he hangs in there, he has gone a couple of days without eating. I appreciate all the advice. I will let you guys know what the vet says!
Yay! Hopefully vet doesn't find anything too wrong.

You'll want to get the organic baby food with no additives. Suggest getting the smallest jars as they expire quickly. :) (Learned that the hard way.) Especially the veges as a baby the size of your fella won't eat much veges until he's older. Add water to make it a little runny (it's easier for them to eat) and warm it up to a little warmer than room temp. You don't want to give it to him cold. :) Good luck. Keep us posted.

Latest posts