• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sleeping all the time

DudleyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi there. Dudley came out of brumation mid January and has been thriving since. He eats his greens every day and gets crickets that have been gut loaded with fruit, veggies, and get the cricket water. We dust them with calcium and the multi-vitamins. He lives on sand right now but we are changing that very soon. Tank remains at about 95-100 with the colder side at 85-90 and he does have a UVB but only 5.0. We gave him a bath yesterday and do bath him once a week.
The past week though he has been hiding all day again, like he did during brumation. He will only come out for food maybe once every two days and hides again. He is not basking as much as he should be, I know which is what made me worried.
Should I be taking him to a vet or does anyone have a suggestion to what I could change up to try and make Dudley a happy camper again. He is usually such a happy dragon, always scratching at the tank to come out and play and run around, we are really worried over here.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi: DD; He needs a 10.0 repitsun; tube light to help with his digestion; Could you post tank size temps and what is being used as it will make it easier for people to help you, Others will be along shortley to help you. river-7

DudleyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a 36''long, 16'' high and 18'' wide tank. He has a 100watt heat bulb on his basking side with his reptiglo bulb which I will be replacing today with a 10.0. And he has a 75watt heat bulb on his far side of the tank. It drops down anywhere from 65-70 at night though with the lights off. Will this effect him?
Any suggestions helpful, because 2 more days of not perking up and he gets to see the vet.
Thanks, Tasha

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I think with the 10.0 uvb bulb you will see him perk up-How old is he? I am thinking he is over a year?? his cool side should be 80-85 on the cool side and 100-105 on hot side if he is a year old or more. and no 70-75 will not hurt him but try to bring it to 80-85 on his cool side.River-7

DudleyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Alright thanks. He is roughly a year and a half to two years. We adopted him from a friend. And I am starting to think him may be a her, but the boyfriend denies it. He is hopeful on Dudley being a girl. We shall see how he is doing tmrw. Thanks again

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
65-70F at night is just fine for a BD, but should not be allowed to drop below the low 60s F at night. BDs should be allowed to cool at night, it slows their metabolism down for a good nights rest.

DudleyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
So we got the new light for her and she perked up for a little while. But her colour is very dark, and one day she will be running around to get our attention to come out and the next day hiding under her log sleeping all day. I have read this could be a sign of shedding and to just help the process along but I am a nervous owner and do not want my Beardie baby being sick. When they shed do they usully slow down a lot

Pat B

Super Moderator
Sounds like you are doing everything right. Beardies can be cranky during the shed process. If she is then her skin will start to turn a lighter color. Give her warm baths, and keep her hydrated. The dark color could mean lots of things....I always took it as stress. These little creatures cause as much worry as having a child!! I have learned over time they 'know' what they need as in eating, shedding, pooping. If all your husbandry is good then Dudley should be good to go.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
DD; when shedding sometimes they will hide and slow down not eat ect; Act a little weird and all of this is very normal.Try giving her a warm bath to help the shedding along-usually when going into a shed the get very pale. hope this helps a little and keep us posted. If you could post a pic it would help others to help you-river-7

DudleyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks I have got some pictures having trouble posting. She is eating crickets and salad still just not basking as much as usual. Do they usually shed after brumation?

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
DD; Another thing you might try is remove the object that she is hiding in. I had a female that had a hide like a snakes hides and she always hide in it and i took it out and she returned to normal; Worth a thought. river-aka-bella

DudleyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/TashaLea55/library/?sort=3&page=1

The shedding pictures are from about one year ago, and the pictures on the striped pillow are recent photos.
He is still eating regular, and basking a lot. We brought Dudley`s tank upstairs and it stays a little warmer now, doesn`t go below 70. The poop the other day was diarrhea but had more solidness to it then before. So I think the move upstairs and increase in heat might be helping. Gonna have a bath today and see how it goes. If it was a parasite would I see them in the waste

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It would take a Fecal Float done by a qualified vet to confirm or rule out an abundance of Parasites. Almost all reptiles carry tolerable amounts of Parasites. It is generally when other issues such as stress, dehydration, malnutrition, sickness, etc, weakens them & they are unable to keep the Parasite count in check because of the weakened condition & they become an issue.

DudleyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay. I will have to take a sample in. Just got to wait for one. Is there a time limit of 24 hours for it to get to the vet? Because I am not sure when she will poop next. Stress I would think is the cause then. We moved her to a new tank and did not have the proper sand yet so she went from sand to newspaper. In a new home. And we had a cat that kept sitting on her tank. Cat is gone with the old room mate now and we moved her upstairs where it stays a little warmer and she gets more people interaction. She has been seeming better but I will take her to get the check up anyways. Thanks!!

Pat B

Super Moderator
Sounds like you are doing all you can do. Beardies can stress for lots of reasons, moving, eating, people, and the list can go on and on! Give her some time and she will probably be ok. I have learned that these little creatures know best what they need but, we, as owners are responsible for proving all that they need, lighting, husbandry etc etc etc. Good luck! :)

Latest posts