• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Skinny rescues...

Jess

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I'm a new bearded dragon owner. I purchased my own beardie baby about a month and a half ago. Mine is 4 months old now and doing great and thriving well! While doing my readings on dragons I ran across a page that sells them. Well this guy was selling two and I fell in love with the looks of a red male he had... and by the looks of the second, she didn't look too well. She's very skinny while looking at the top of her and her back legs looked and seem to function odily... Almost as if she is bowed legs. The male didn't look 100%, his two bones on his upper tail are showing. Even though I wasn't 100% on them and their health and my situations aren't ideal for 2 new ones, I felt in my heart they would be better with me, before they got worse with him. So I purchased them both from him. With that being said....
Female is 7 months old and male is 6 months old... I'm feeding them mustard greens, cabbage, chopped celery, dusted crickets, and a few silk worms daily at night if they aren't hunting their crickets. They eat kind of odd when hand feeding them greens- like they don't know how to eat (I Also keep a bowl but want to make sure they get some) but they do kind of hunt some of the crickets... Not as much as i would think they should!! But idk. He had them houses together so I have them together --for now!( I was only prepared to take on one but I felt it was DIRE to take her too. They are in a 40 gallon breeder, with a 10.0 reptisun Uvb tube installed in tank, a 175 watt basking bulb. Temps are 100 hot 80 coolest. I make sure greens are wet when feeding and I have given them a bath everyday sense I've had them (3days now). They seem dehydrated. I have a big log that goes close up to uvb that they are always on top of and two basking rocks. Like I said I am kinda new to this... EXPECIALLY taking care of two semi sickly ones!! Just want to make sure I'm going about this ok. Not sure if early MBD or just mal-nutrition, dehydration... Idk. Female is eating about 10 crickets a day. And Male eating about 15 crickets a day! (Think it should be more?!!) I told him the girl looked skinny he said "a few deubis will fatten her up" . When I wake up and the male sees me he starts head bobbing and runing around the tank-- has not hissed or bit me yet, but this behavior kind of makes me nervous. Please take a look at pics and let me know what you guys think!!
Female (looks skinner when not laying)
image.jpeg
male
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
backbones (male)
image.jpeg
when I first got them (3days ago)
image.jpeg
And this is my 4month old.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear that you've taken both of them in.. Be very careful and make sure you use good hygiene and don't share uneaten foods, tongs etc between these two and your first one in case these have anything...Once they settle in from rehoming have them seen and fecals done to make sure they are healthy and just needing more "groceries" to get them back up in weight. Sounds like your doing good with them and I would separate them soon as you can. As the male is displaying dominance towards you once he's feeling well he may turn on her, not to mention he will be coming of age and will want to mate..
A few of us put together general info care of you'll find it under some of our comments the links will take you right there.. that may help in some way..

Keep us posted on how they are doing.. They don't look too bad just need some nice bugs and some hydration and good salads.. :)

Jess

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear that you've taken both of them in.. Be very careful and make sure you use good hygiene and don't share uneaten foods, tongs etc between these two and your first one in case these have anything...Once they settle in from rehoming have them seen and fecals done to make sure they are healthy and just needing more "groceries" to get them back up in weight. Sounds like your doing good with them and I would separate them soon as you can. As the male is displaying dominance towards you once he's feeling well he may turn on her, not to mention he will be coming of age and will want to mate..
A few of us put together general info care of you'll find it under some of our comments the links will take you right there.. that may help in some way..

Keep us posted on how they are doing.. They don't look too bad just need some nice bugs and some hydration and good salads.. :)

Thank you!! Will do! I will defiantly be getting another 40 gallon here soon! And vet check. I just felt I needed to take her too, she looked as if another few weeks in her old conditions and she'd be in terrible shape :(. What do you think of that amount of crickets they are eating at 6 and 7 months old? Is that normal? My baby eats that in one sitting!! And what about the silk worms I feed them when I see they Havent ate many crickets that day... Is that a bad idea? You dont think they need any baby food or pedialight? Maybe I'm just over reacting, I'm just really nervous about them.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They are skinny so don't feed them too much at once, just gradually get them used to eating healthy food. Also make sure that there is no crickets left in the tank overnight. Whatever they don't eat in a 10 minute time frame should be taken out or they could bite your dragon while it's sleeping. Silkworms are great nutrition for them, dubia would also be good. Make sure when you do feed them that they have a few hours before their lights go out to digest their food.

I'm concerned about the 175w basking light. That sounds WAY too high, what are you using to measure your temps with.

Jess

Bearded Dragon Egg
And these are his eyes..... Are they sunken in? :/ they are defiantly not clear
image.jpeg

Jess

Bearded Dragon Egg
They are skinny so don't feed them too much at once, just gradually get them used to eating healthy food. Also make sure that there is no crickets left in the tank overnight. Whatever they don't eat in a 10 minute time frame should be taken out or they could bite your dragon while it's sleeping. Silkworms are great nutrition for them, dubia would also be good. Make sure when you do feed them that they have a few hours before their lights go out to digest their food.

I'm concerned about the 175w basking light. That sounds WAY too high, what are you using to measure your temps with.
Thank you!! It may be a 150. I'm using a probe. And it's about 100-105 in their basking area and 80 even on the coolest. I think I am more worried about him now! I came home today and the girl ate the most she has in like 4 days now, and actually hunted them. I've seen him eat from his salad bowl, so maybe that's why but he's not even trying :/.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi Jess, I just wanted to say thank you for taking on these 2 beardies. They obviously need you! You are a wonderful person to adopt these guys. They do look a bit skinny and dehydrated for sure. You could get some Pedialyte and put that in their bath water. I do think dubia's would be much better than crickets but that's just my personal opinion. And definitely get them separated as soon as you can. Then once they are settled in get them to a vet. Check into BSFL's as well cuz those are the best worms for MBD. They have the highest calcium level. No need to dust them. They could benefit from some of those and they are tiny so their tiny tummies can handle them.

Good luck to you! Thank you for sharing their pictures and their story.

Bobbi in Cincinnati - with my 13 hermit crabs, 1 bearded dragon - Sir Wallace and 5 rescue cats!!

Jess

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Jess, I just wanted to say thank you for taking on these 2 beardies. They obviously need you! You are a wonderful person to adopt these guys. They do look a bit skinny and dehydrated for sure. You could get some Pedialyte and put that in their bath water. I do think dubia's would be much better than crickets but that's just my personal opinion. And definitely get them separated as soon as you can. Then once they are settled in get them to a vet. Check into BSFL's as well cuz those are the best worms for MBD. They have the highest calcium level. No need to dust them. They could benefit from some of those and they are tiny so their tiny tummies can handle them.

Good luck to you! Thank you for sharing their pictures and their story.

Bobbi in Cincinnati - with my 13 hermit crabs, 1 bearded dragon - Sir Wallace and 5 rescue cats!!
Thank you! I am trying really hard to make this work. I will try the pedialyte tomorrow!! Do I try to get them to drink it? They need to be separated I know. (Which means whole new tank and supplies- another 200$. And a vet visit ASAP. They are worse than I though. Im almost positive the female has a respitory thing... I can hear her wheezing and she's breathing odd on top of her underweight and dehydration.... But she's actually eating much better and active now. So I will try what you mentioned. And him... He's hardly eating now and no energy today. I think he's severely dehydrated and he also has these sores on his mouth... Which Im sure doesn't help him eating. I think it is from the wood chips the asshat had in the 10 gallon tank he had them both in . That or mouth rot. I'm starting to worry I took on more than I can handle. I think I'm going to do the vet first at the end of the week and then separate as soon as possible after?? Defiantly getting them on a healthy eating schedule now. Thank you for the response! I will try what you suggested!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you! I am trying really hard to make this work. I will try the pedialyte tomorrow!! Do I try to get them to drink it? They need to be separated I know. (Which means whole new tank and supplies- another 200$. And a vet visit ASAP. They are worse than I though. Im almost positive the female has a respitory thing... I can hear her wheezing and she's breathing odd on top of her underweight and dehydration.... But she's actually eating much better and active now. So I will try what you mentioned. And him... He's hardly eating now and no energy today. I think he's severely dehydrated and he also has these sores on his mouth... Which Im sure doesn't help him eating. I think it is from the wood chips the asshat had in the 10 gallon tank he had them both in . That or mouth rot. I'm starting to worry I took on more than I can handle. I think I'm going to do the vet first at the end of the week and then separate as soon as possible after?? Defiantly getting them on a healthy eating schedule now. Thank you for the response! I will try what you suggested!

I am so sorry you are going through all of this. As far as the Pedialyte baths I would take a cup and pour the water on their backs. Mine never drank his bath water and still doesn't. To help on dollars you could get the generic brand.

The dubia's aren't like crickets where they have to hunt them all over the tank. I put a bowl of them down and since they can't climb up and out they just get them out of the bowl. That might be easier for the male. Besides in the comparison chart they are like steak in human consumption, and when you gut load them, that makes them even better for the beardies. Then you don't have to worry about getting every single last cricket out.

The BSFL's are the best thing for them to eat if they need calcium or have MBD. They have been known to stop or even reverse MBD, at least that's what I've read. I haven't heard of any cases where that has happened. But it would help on calcium powder costs as you don't dust those.

Both the dubia's and BSFL's are low in chitin which is easier to digest. Do your research on both is all I can tell you to do but in my eyes those are the best of the best when it comes to feeders.

As far as the male not eating, I have always been told that they can have a bit of relocation stress and may not eat the first week. If he doesn't start eating after a week that's when I would think about the slurry mix.

As far as the vet visit just remember they are severely freaked out after being in one place for so long and then bam a brand new place so their parasite levels could be higher for that reason alone. Just wanted to put that out there. So if you are not seeing any worms in their poop and it comes back that they have worms I would wait to put them on anything until you saw worms.

Wow $200.? That's cheap, I need to shop where you shop! I spent $200 on enclosure alone! Lol they saw me coming!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He does look dehydrated, his eyes are sunken and a little droopy. I never understood the pedialyte bath until the other day. When you do a pedialyte bath you want the water to get just under their lower jaw so that hopefully some of the water gets in his mouth and he swallows it. I would get him to a vet though to have his mouth looked at. Not sure if it's just gunk from food or rubbing on stuff or if it's some sort of infection. I would have a vet look at it because if it is an infection you want to get him on antibiotics ASAP.

Jess

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am so sorry you are going through all of this. As far as the Pedialyte baths I would take a cup and pour the water on their backs. Mine never drank his bath water and still doesn't. To help on dollars you could get the generic brand.

The dubia's aren't like crickets where they have to hunt them all over the tank. I put a bowl of them down and since they can't climb up and out they just get them out of the bowl. That might be easier for the male. Besides in the comparison chart they are like steak in human consumption, and when you gut load them, that makes them even better for the beardies. Then you don't have to worry about getting every single last cricket out.

The BSFL's are the best thing for them to eat if they need calcium or have MBD. They have been known to stop or even reverse MBD, at least that's what I've read. I haven't heard of any cases where that has happened. But it would help on calcium powder costs as you don't dust those.

Both the dubia's and BSFL's are low in chitin which is easier to digest. Do your research on both is all I can tell you to do but in my eyes those are the best of the best when it comes to feeders.

As far as the male not eating, I have always been told that they can have a bit of relocation stress and may not eat the first week. If he doesn't start eating after a week that's when I would think about the slurry mix.

As far as the vet visit just remember they are severely freaked out after being in one place for so long and then bam a brand new place so their parasite levels could be higher for that reason alone. Just wanted to put that out there. So if you are not seeing any worms in their poop and it comes back that they have worms I would wait to put them on anything until you saw worms.

Wow $200.? That's cheap, I need to shop where you shop! I spent $200 on enclosure alone! Lol they saw me coming!

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your reply! I will look into all of it! You're awesome! I think the girl has a respitory infection... I can hear her breathing and it's sounds clicky and raspy. Vet appt scheduled for her Thursday.
And btw I have a mom and pop reptile store down the street from my work... They sell used tanks and fixtures! -- I also go to petco for dollar days! A dollar per gallon tanks! I got a 55 gallon breeder for 60 something bucks!! And a 40 gallon breeder for 50 bucks!! I'm a single mom so I'm thrifty... I eventually want one of the side sliders but that'll come in time :) Thanks again!

Jess

Bearded Dragon Egg
He does look dehydrated, his eyes are sunken and a little droopy. I never understood the pedialyte bath until the other day. When you do a pedialyte bath you want the water to get just under their lower jaw so that hopefully some of the water gets in his mouth and he swallows it. I would get him to a vet though to have his mouth looked at. Not sure if it's just gunk from food or rubbing on stuff or if it's some sort of infection. I would have a vet look at it because if it is an infection you want to get him on antibiotics ASAP.

Thank you. Good to know! I'm bringing them in on Thursday! Thanks for the response!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You are doing all the right things... keeping them hydrated is important. And getting them in to the vet will really help gauge what all is going on and getting them on meds if needed. I got both of my 40 breeders during their sales :) Make sure you are practicing good hygiene between your dragons!! Don't share tools and uneaten food. Dubia are great and awesome to gut load, 1 dubia = 5 crickets nutrition wise. You may not see anything in their poop but it is likely with their background that they have an overload in parasites. If they go on meds include a probiotic powder into the mix to help restore their gut flora.
Keep us posted!!

Latest posts